SOLVED

Re: Removal of "Is Anonymous" filters.

Go to solution
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I agree here. I play up this during many conversations with clients and it rarely gets done because few teams have the resources to look at RTP and other Anon to Known conversion techniques.

I'm concerned about a few things here because this wasn't fully explained. And I appreciate Kenny Elkington​'s explanation and @Arjun, but need more:

• What happens to smart lists and flows where Is Anonymous currently exists?
  • Many teams were using Is Anonymous to prevent Visits Web Page from scoring Anon leads. I thought this defeated the point of scoring, but it does reduce the trigger. How is this situation handled then?
  • Will ALL behaviors now never operate on Anonymous? That is, smart lists act only on Known records?
  • How will RTP work? Will this Anon stuff just be hidden?
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Josh,

The answer to your first 2 questions is in the FAQ at least partially (Next Generation Munchkin Tracking FAQ - Marketo Docs - Product Docs)

• Smart campaigns with "is anonymous" in the filter will fail and you will receive a notification. I gather this if for batch campaigns as well as trigger campaigns
  • The second point will be handled differently : the scoring (and any other flow step BTW) will happen later, at the moment the lead becomes known, but with retroactive dates. I suppose this will enable these flows to run for leads that become known, thus significantly reducing server workload. BtW, a question: what if I do not want a smart campaign to work retroactively when a lead becomes known ?

On your 3rd point, my understanding is that yes, smart lists will only act on knows records

on the 4th, I do not have a clue

-Greg

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Q: What happens to smart lists and flows where Is Anonymous currently exists?

A: “Is Anonymous” filters should be removed wherever they are in use. However, if they are still in use after the upgrade, here is what you’ll see as results:

1. “Is Anonymous” = True

Smart Lists will return zero results, Smart Campaigns will fail and won’t run.

2. “Is Anonymous” = False

The filter is ignored because all leads will be known.

3. “Is Anonymous” = True in combination with “Is Anonymous” = False using OR filter logic

Smart Lists will return zero results, Smart Campaigns will fail and won’t run.

Q: Many teams were using Is Anonymous to prevent Visits Web Page from scoring Anon leads. I thought this defeated the point of scoring, but it does reduce the trigger. How is this situation handled then?

A: Greg is correct, the campaigns that would have applied while anonymous will still apply as long as the web activity happened within the web activity pruning policy timeframe.

Q: Will ALL behaviors now never operate on Anonymous? That is, smart lists act only on Known records?

A: Yes, this is correct, only known lead records will be able to activate smart campaigns, but, that anonymous web activity will still trigger the smart campaigns at the time they become known.

Q: How will RTP work? Will this Anon stuff just be hidden?

A: RTP will not be affected at all. Neither will RCE/RCA.

Greg’s question:

Q: What if I do not want a smart campaign to work retroactively when a lead becomes known?

A: All active trigger campaigns that could apply to the anonymous web activity will be activated the same as if it were active and reacting to an anonymous record now. Deactivated campaigns won’t be triggered, but any/all active campaigns will. If you don’t want the campaigns to react retroactively when the lead becomes known, the short answer is to deactivate them (the same as you’d do if you didn’t want them to react to anonymous records currently).

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Mike Reynolds,

The last point is not acceptable : I need my smart campaign to apply to know leads so I cannot deactivate it. And I'd rather not imagine someone trying to deactivate it each time a lead becomes known and reactivate it afterwards

I gather I can have a filter "email address" is not empty or "last name is not empty" to prevent retroactive execution, but these are error prone and might not be accurate.

You will absolutely need to consider a "Do not execute retroactively on newly known leads" checkbox in the qualification rules.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

And here is the idea :

-Greg

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

What about the data that's stored about an anonymous lead and then later on associated with its known lead counterpart? Is that gone too now?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

No, that will still happen.

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Thanks Dan, hard to keep track of all the comments as the questions and answers are flying back and forth in this thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Grégoire Michel​, really helpful.seg?add=4332341&t=2

Liz_Medlicott
Level 1

Hi Greg - I know it's been a while since this was posted but I was doing some research because I am finding anonymous leads that are being scored and have in turn become MQLs - we discovered this because blank lead alerts were coming through and once I logged a ticket with support they provided me with the information that it was, in fact, an anonymous lead.  Do you know if this is true that they aren't supposed to be scored or allowed to go through smart campaigns? This just started happening like two weeks ago, I'm wondering if maybe it's something with how our tracking was set up and if something else is wrong. Let me know if you have any information or thoughts on this, I'm also still trying to work with support to get more information on their end. Thanks and I appreciate all of your posts/feedback in the community