SOLVED

Re: Removal of "Is Anonymous" filters.

Go to solution
Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Richard Craemer​ Sorry if I was unclear in what I was referring to. What I meant is that if you're trying to reach the individual lead that was anonymously visiting the site, there's no contact info for that person. I know that anonymous information has value--that's why the Web Activity Report and Company Web Activity Report still have the option to show this anonymous web activity you're looking for. If you're cold calling customers based on what company they show up as, that same info will come through (still based on the same reverse-IP lookup info).

As for the earlier question about seeing the anonymous leads in the reports, when you change the setting in Setup, it will allow the anonymous web activity to show up, but doesn't remove the known leads. It just adds the anonymous ones in. There are ways to filter them out though--if you use filters like "Not Filled Out Form", "First Name - Is Empty" or others that would rule out the known leads, all that would be left are the anonymous leads

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, Mike.  I just tested the First Name workaround and got (pretty much) the same results, so that will work for us.  Thanks!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Mike Reynolds​,

Thanks a lot for the doc. It is very clear.

My question above about the execution order between retroactive trigger campaigns and "lead is created" trigger campaign is not answered though.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

As we kind of have a better understanding of all the implications and consequences of this change, I just wanted to thank a lot Mike Reynolds​, Arjun Nair​ and Kenny Elkington​ for their patience and pedagogy answering this deluge of questions

-Greg

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

You're very welcome.  We'll be around to continue answering any additional questions about these behaviors.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, thanks for the help guys!

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Hello all,

With all of the replies going around in this thread, it's hard to make sure we've gotten all questions answered and nothing has slipped through the cracks. If anyone has any questions that haven't been answered yet, please feel free to start a new discussion thread and drop an @-tag for me in there so that I see it and we'll pick up where we left off. Just be sure to also add the URL for the new thread in here so others can follow along. Always glad to help!

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Mike Reynolds​ Can you just confirm that the way we use this today - for providing account-related activity/responses to our paid advertising campaigns - will no longer be possible?

pastedImage_0.png

In looking at the great documentation you guys posted recently - specifically Anonymous Lead Upgrades – Analytics Reports  - we may be able to achieve similar results here.  We'll just need to filter those specific landing pages in the smart list so that it only shows anonymous company activity results on those pages.   

If this is not the case, then we will have to rely solely on DemandBase for this (which is fine, but would have like to see this capability remain in Marketo).  FYI, here's a sample of the anonymous account-centric dashboards they provide (does RTP offer the same?).  I'd love to see similar capabilities in Marketo one day:

pastedImage_1.png

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Dan Stevens​ The Visited Web Page filter will work, but the Is Anonymous filter would break it and should be removed. Since all leads will be known, any Is Anonymous = True filter in use will return zero results. If you just remove that Is Anonymous filter, the Visited Web Page filter will give you the same results you're looking for, except that obviously you won't get the Anonymous leads any more.

Also, note here that your filter is set to only look for leads that have visited these 4 pages within the last 30 days. It could be thrown off by how long it takes for the lead to become known vs when the campaign/report is run. If the lead visited the pages 60 days ago, becomes known on day 61 and the campaign/report is run with the Visited Web Page filter set to in the past 30 days, it would filter them out.

As you said, you can still get these results in an analytics report by adding just the Visited Web Page filter to the report and then changing the Setup to show anonymous leads. This option will be available on the Web Page Activity Report and the Company Web Activity Report.

In regards to RTP, yes, there are a lot of capabilities available to see anonymous activity there, in particular with regards to conversions of leads by RTP Campaigns. RTP integrates with Google Analytics and there are some pretty powerful reports that can come from that integration as well. If you don't have RTP already, I'd definitely check it out. RTP doesn't have a stock integration with DemandBase, but they are a LaunchPoint partner and have an integration built with Marketo.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mike, we currently produce a web page activity report with a "Is Anonymous = TRUE" filter so our sales team to hunt for "not yet engaged" companies to cold call.  They basically just call the company and start poking around, even with no knowledge of the actual person who was on the site.  Our thinking is that if they're known, they will engage in some other way with us, but if they're completely anonymous, we should call the company anyway as they're in the early stages of looking for a solution.  About 10% of our Stage 1 Opps come from this process.

If I now switch the report Setup, as you suggest, from Hidden to Shown, isn't that going to show me all activity, Anonymous + Known?  I need to see only anonymous hits on the website in a report.  Is that possible?

Thanks,

--Richard--