SOLVED

Re: Removal of "Is Anonymous" filters.

Go to solution
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Another example of the anonymous leads will be the way the lead life cycle is set, starting with an "anonymous" status that exists only in Marketo and gets changed when the lead becomes known... Of course, this part of the cycle is not the most important one, yet, again, it's all about measuring conversion rates that disappears.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

We rely on Is Anonymous in combination with Visits Web Page + Querystring to track clicks and subsequent behavior originating from Adwords, retargeting, and other online channels. Any suggestions for a workaround?

Tole

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Campaigns will still trigger off of the web activity like from the Visits Web Page, including with the Querystring constraint. The difference is that they will not be triggered until the lead becomes known. In this case, you'll just need to remove the Is Anonymous filter since all leads will be known at the time the campaigns are activated.

David_Desrosie2
Level 4

There is already a lot of limitations with Anonymous leads and I was hoping that Marketo would move forward to closing the gap with analytics and ad technologies that rely a lot on these leads to get closer to the "full picture". I find this disappointing.

Also I see a lot of cases where passing a lead retroactively in a smart campaign is a bad idea. A lot of what we do is time sensitive Ex: Interesting Moments, Scoring, Data Updates and should not be triggered if it's not immediately dealt with. My other concern is that the date stamps associated with campaign membership and potentially program status (if it's part of that campaign flow) will also be decayed vs their "real" time and will also skew reporting that relies on the membership or status update timing...

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi David,

Fully agreed about time sensitiveness. Vote here :

-Greg

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

David,

A couple of points in regards to the time stamp logging:

• All activity a lead had prior to becoming known will be logged chronologically in the new lead record with the correct corresponding date/time stamps once the lead becomes known.
  • The campaigns that are triggered by the anonymous activity will be processed in order of the activities that occurred, oldest to newest.
  • In the lead’s activity log, all campaign activities (with one exception below) will be logged with the time stamp of when the lead becomes known, right before the New Lead activity.
  • Interesting Moment flow step activities will be backdated to the date and time when the corresponding anonymous activity occurred.
Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

This I strongly disagree with. Anonymous functionality should be binary - either fully functional or not at all functional. Having them be partially or retroactively functional greatly compromises the integrity of most trigger campaigns as they can start triggering off activities that occurred days or weeks ago. At that point, trigger campaigns are no longer trigger campaigns anymore, they're rogue batch campaigns.

If this isn't going to change, there should at least be an option to turn this functionality off in the admin panel.

EDIT: Looks like Grégoire Michel​ has already posted an idea about this:

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Another idea to vote for, in order to "compensate" for the loss of info is this one :

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

I have a very dim outlook on this change, I created a discussion (more of a rant) here before realizing you already made one: Removing the 'is Anonymous' filter - That's A TERRIBLE IDEA

a84c2b50699d2b47adae08d89f606c67.jpg

Does anyone have a suggestion, per the below rant, now that the 'is anonymous' filter is being removed.

I hope I'm not the only one saying this, but removing the 'is anonymous' filter is one of the most shortsighted and perhaps most 'bone-headed' moves you can make.  I feel a sales pitch about RTP about to happen, but more importantly you have essentially removed the reason we've bought into Marketo in the first place...  The ability to convey information to other tools in the LaunchPoint ecosystem to INTELLIGENTLY TARGET anonymous people  - is now gone.

I don't want to lose QUALITY -  TOP OF FUNNEL targeting.  The ability to HYPERTARGET unknowns who have made desirable actions on my site using ADBRIDGE will be lost, and my 'closed loop reporting' is fractured because I will need to action things from an outside system... Is this not Lead Gen (remarketing) 101???  How do I target these people now?

You have to realize, that you have essentially removed our ability to action anything on anonymous people, and that makes me very upset and angry because as a Non-Profit we have been stripped of a valuable capability ingrained available in the database and a large portion of our data is being held hostage.... SO, if 80% of my database is not being used, I would expect an 80% reduction in the cost of the tool.

Apologies for going into a rant about this, but this is a most TERRIBLE IDEA and I'm actually quite frustrated about this:

knostermodel.png

This alone is enough for me to recommend cancelling our Marketo accounts and move-on to another provider that gives us access to this group.  There is HUGE value in the unknown leads and Marketo may lose us over this.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Nicholas,

Could you illustrate the use cases you are having with anonymous leads, how you use them ?

-Greg