Re: Registration Error...Is there a fix?

Kevin_McMahon1
Level 5

Registration Error...Is there a fix?

I've read through multiple discussions on registration error, but haven't found a solution to the problem. I don't understand why it even happens; it seems to happen randomly with no real pattern.

We use GTW and it seems to happen even when the connection with Marketo is active. Has anyone found the reason for this?

I've read it can also happen when the required fields are not filled out (First, Last, and Company) but our webinar forms require these three fields. Plus I've seen leads with all those fields populated still end up with the wrong status.

Here is the error I always see but can't seem to figure out why it's happening:

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 8.41.07 AM.png

Has anyone else been able to diagnose this error?

Thanks,

Kevin

12 REPLIES 12
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Did you ask Support?

If you click on the # there, does it say more about it?

If you check the fields in question, is the string too long for GTW?

Kevin_McMahon1
Level 5

Hi Josh,

I have not reached out to Support yet but will if I can't find a solution here.

The # doesn't give any more info.

I can't imagine the string being too long for GTW. I have people who first entered our database through the webinar form so are only asked Name, email, and company and have standard values in there (such as Mark Eto, Marketo, meto@marketo.com) that have that same error.

Kevin_McMahon1
Level 5

Posting a quick update:

I looked through the different error codes that cause registration error in our instance and can't find a single root cause. We get quite a few for our larger webinars and the field team is tired of continually manually changing these people. So, I've decided to just add a flow step as part of each program to automatically switch people from Registration Error to Registered.

Been doing this for a couple weeks so far and haven't found an issue yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kevin,

I had the same issue yesterday, and the same Error message as you have provided in the screenshot. I asked Marketo support and they have been very helpful. In my case, the form fields First Name and Last Name were progressive profiling, and I changed they to always be visible. GTW needs all three in order to get the registered status. Please check that.

Shelly_Wilson
Level 3

I've run in to the same problem this week. When setting up the webinar initially and testing it, I was having issues with my test registration syncing through. I then noticed in Launchpoint that GTW had become inactive (God knows when/how long ago...why are there no auto ALERTs when APIs fail/disconnect?!). So I re-signed in, it went to Active status, and all was good to go. Over 40 people registered just fine via our embededd Marketo form in our Wordpress site. Then 2 days ago our first invite for event went to DB and next morning we spotted 77 Registration Errors out of about 140 new registrations. Once again...API had disconnected, I re-signed in to GTW via Launchpoint and it went back to active. At the minute I'm trying to figure out how to get these registrants their unique joining link. Our comms are all branded. We don't use GTW default autoresponders.

As we had all registrant details, we just opened the GTW registration link/page and manually entered each person there. My assumption was that GTW would sync to Marketo, registration status would update from Registration Error to Registered, and either our Registration Confirmation would fire automatically per normal...or worst case I could manually create a one-off campaign to send the affected group their confirmation.

But the registrations made through GTW won't sync over to Marketo, even when I do a forced Refresh from Event Provider.

Am now going to try manually registering them through our website UI/Marketo form and see if that works...but what a pain in the arse.

Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Agree that it's super frustrating that there's no alert when a Launchpoint service becomes disconnected. I can't answer the original question, but I have a suggestion about notifications. I have a smart campaign that sends an alert to all Marketo Admins any time there's a registration error.

Smart List: Program Status Changes, New Program Status = Registration Error

Flow: Send Alert "AL Webinar Error"

Alert Body:

Webinar Registration Error
Email: {{lead.Email Address:default=}}

Please refresh the GoToWebinar connection in Admin, and then try to change the person's program status. If that doesn't work, contact Marketo Support and GoToWebinar support. However, if the webinar has already passed but the registration page is still live, that is the cause of the error.

{{SP_Send_Alert_Info}}

Webinar Program: {{trigger.Name}}

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor
Jesse_Richard
Level 3

Does the lead data have a symbol in it? Most all of our registration errors are caused by "invalid" symbols in the name, title, or email. For example, if there is pipe "|" in the title, or if there's an extra space in the email (e.g. person @company.com) and so on and so forth. Other reasons (aside from missing field) could be that the field data is too long, for example we just got a webinar registration error because a job title was 35 characters "Beredskapskoordinator Luftambulanse" which was rejected by GTW.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Always good when form authors have no concept of real-world values. *eyeroll*

Jesse_Richard
Level 3

Yeah, not sure why GoToWebinar rejects it.