Referral Program and tokens

Teresa_Hsu1
Level 4

Referral Program and tokens

Hello,

I've read all the referral program threads that I could find.  However, I still don't quite understand how that works as I'm not a developer and have very limited knowledge about html codes.

Here's what I'm trying to achieve in Marketo:

1. 1 form with Referrer and Referral information. 
  2. Referrer goes to a Referrer campaign in SFDC and Referral to a Referral campaign.
  3. After form submission, an email goes out to Referrer and another email goes out to Referral.  The email goes to Referral also need to mention the Referrer's name.
  4. Alert to Sales team with both Referrer and Referal's information.

I think I need to create custom fields to capture Referrer's information.  Otherwise, I won't be able to tokenize the email.  However, that also means I need to manully upload/update Referrer's information.  Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Referral Program and tokens

I'm not a developer and have very limited knowledge about html codes.

Not so much HTML, but JavaScript. The way to create a successful bidirectional referral-referrer program is by using the Forms JS API.

On the database side, you receive 2 Filled Out Form activities:

• one in the context of the referral (new/updated lead) with a back-reference to their referrer in a custom field
  • another in the context of the referrer with a reference to their most recent referral

You then can use history and score fields to maintain a trail of referral activities.

I think I need to create custom fields to capture Referrer's information. Otherwise, I won't be able to tokenize the email.

You've described the Referrer concept well, but you will need a developer to implement it for you.

Teresa_Hsu1
Level 4

Re: Referral Program and tokens

Still need a developer after all...  Thank you Sanford Whiteman​!