SOLVED

Re: Redirect rule for PURLs

Go to solution
Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Redirect rule for PURLs

I know we can create redirect rules using these steps: https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Redirect+a+URL+Path

However, what if I want to redirect a PURL? Can I use tokens in the redirect path so it uses the users' unique name or unique ID in the path?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'd think the best way to do this (which we do whenever working on a dev/staging page) is simply to swap in the URL of the prod LP when you're ready. There might be a one- or two-second period where the URL is inaccessible, but that's all.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

Nope, sorry, token values will not be interpolated there (they'll be seen as the literal string w/curly braces).

Put another way, redirect rules aren't URL templates but literal URLs.

Can you explain why you'd want to do this, though?

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Okay. The reason why I would need a redirect is because I have to make significant changes to a PURL site that's already live (example: discover.uindy.edu/junior/KayeMcClendon). Instead of messing with the current page, I'd like to clone the page and make changes there and test it (example: discover.uindy.edu/junior2/KayeMcClendon).

However, after everything looks good, I still want to be able to use the original PURL link because that's what we put on thousands of emails. So, I thought I'd create a redirect from discover.uindy.edu/junior/KayeMcClendon to discover.uindy.edu/junior2/KayeMcClendon. 

Is there another way you would suggest?

SanfordWhiteman

I'd think the best way to do this (which we do whenever working on a dev/staging page) is simply to swap in the URL of the prod LP when you're ready. There might be a one- or two-second period where the URL is inaccessible, but that's all.

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Okay, so you're saying if I rename the old version to /junior-old, for example, and choose "Throw away http://discover.uindy.edu/junior.html, (See screenshot below) it doesn't delete that URL permanently? I can still reuse /junior to name the new page?Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 8.21.51 AM.png

SanfordWhiteman

Yes - though I'd phrase it, "It does delete the URL permanently" meaning it's not merely marked as used but deleted as if had never been used.

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

I see. Okay, thanks for your help!