SOLVED

Re: Recognizng the wrong email address on the unsubscribe landing page

Go to solution
Łukasz_Michna
Level 2

Recognizng the wrong email address on the unsubscribe landing page

On our Unsubscribe landing page, we have a token of {{lead.Email Address}} in order to show which email the visiting person is registered with.

When I try to unsubscribe from a Marketo email I received to my company email address (company@domain.com) I am taken to the unsubscribe landing page. But the email that I am registered with (as displayed on the lp by the token) is my private email address (private@domain.com). Even though the email came to my company inbox and I clicked the link in that email, Marketo is still "seeing" me as my private email (private@domain.com).

I believe this is why many of our customers are complaining that they have unsubscribed several times but still continue to receive emails.

Can you help me understand why the above is happening?

Thanks,

Lukasz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

So I assume it's a cookie issue, but surely both of my emails must be cookied on my computer.

A Munchkin session is only associated with one lead at a time. Cannot be both.

If the cookie is already associated with a known lead (i.e. is not anonymous) then merely clicking a tracked link in a Marketo email will not override that association.

As Chris says, there is no reason to worry that this is happening with a heightened frequency across all the leads in your database, but it will always happen some small % of the time, just due to the reality of how people use the web & email.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

I'd suggest going through all fields that are being used in the campaigns, emails and landing pages, as it sounds you are operating with two different email address fields.

Best;m

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

I would first check to confirm that the unsubscribe form asset is using the correct email field. It is possible you have two stored, but you want Email Address like you said above so just first double check that. 

Then, see if you personally have multiple records in Marketo.  If you do and you have one for each of those two email addresses, it's clear there is a misalignment between your web user cookie and which of your records that cookie is associated with. There are other ways to diagnose that issue, but the least technical way would be to look at the activity log for both of your records (if you have 2+) and see which one has the web activity. That's the one that's cookied. 

If your customers ALSO have multiple records each, that's a bigger issue. 

Łukasz_Michna
Level 2

Thank you for your replies.

As far as I can see we have only one email field. As it's a unique identifier in Marketo I didn't even think you can have more than one.

Both my company email and my personal email are stored person records in Marketo with the same first and last name. What's interesting is that if I use a different browser or use Chrome Incognito mode the problem disappears and Marketo "reads" the correct email address. So I assume it's a cookie issue, but surely both of my emails must be cookied on my computer. So why is the landing page picking one over the other?

Thanks,

Lukasz

SanfordWhiteman

As it's a unique identifier in Marketo

It's not a unique identifier by any means. Marketo uses the system Email Address field as the pre-insert lookup field for some methods of upserting leads into Marketo, but not all. It's not a primary nor even unique key.

However, the ability to have additional custom fields of the Email datatype isn't really related to that. You have other Email-type fields for CC: purposes, or to (manually) swap primary & alternate addresses.

SanfordWhiteman

So I assume it's a cookie issue, but surely both of my emails must be cookied on my computer.

A Munchkin session is only associated with one lead at a time. Cannot be both.

If the cookie is already associated with a known lead (i.e. is not anonymous) then merely clicking a tracked link in a Marketo email will not override that association.

As Chris says, there is no reason to worry that this is happening with a heightened frequency across all the leads in your database, but it will always happen some small % of the time, just due to the reality of how people use the web & email.

Łukasz_Michna
Level 2

I deleted my private email record from Marketo and now the landing page is only showing my company email which is correct. Therefore it must have been an issue with the cookie/munchkin being associated with my private email instead of my company one.

Thanks,

Lukasz