Re-surface MQLs (that were previously nurture)

Erin_Olsen2
Level 3

Re-surface MQLs (that were previously nurture)

I am working on refining my lead lifecycle and am curious how others have implemented a process to identify MQLs that get marked as "nurture" as MQL again once they have either re-engaged (and hit a score threshold) or complete a specific activity (requested a demo, signed up for trial, filled out a specific form, visited pricing page).

Before I go down the path of mapping this part of the process out, I would love to hear how everyone has this set-up in marketo. Are you resetting lead scores? Using trigger campaigns?

Thanks!

Erin

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Re-surface MQLs (that were previously nurture)

Hi Erin,

I'm not totally sure if this answers your question, but one thing we do is date time stamp leads as they enter new stages so that we can report on velocity. So, if a lead qualifies as MQL and goes to sales, then it gets tagged with an MQL date. If the lead isn't ready and comes back as a Send Back to Marketing or "Nurture" status, then we tag their Send Back to Marketing date. Then, when the lead MQLs again then we have the same process repeat itself.

Same goes for nurture, we tag with a Nurture Start Date and a Fast Follow Start Date (second or mid-funnel stage of nurture) so we can again track velocity between stages.

And yes, this is all done simply with Trigger campaigns looking for Lead Status changes or Nurture Stream changes.

Hope that helps!

Zach

Erin_Olsen2
Level 3

Thanks Zach -

This is helpful.

Yes, we do date stamp the MQL date. Do you have multiple fields then for MQL Date Stamp, Disqualified Date Stamp, Sales Accepted Date Stamp...?

When a lead becomes MQL for a second time, do you overwrite that one MQL date field, or do you populate a new field? Seems like you would always want to keep the orig. MQL date - but I also don't want to create multiple MQL fields (MQL First, MQL Second, etc..)

Thanks!

Erin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's a fair question and something I've debated internally. We have a really long sales cycle so we're not as concerned with multiple MQL dates. Personally, no we don't have multiple MQL dates -- we just overwrite. But, I'll leave it to someone in the Community with more experience in multiple instances to chime in.

I feel like the best compromise though would be simply two fields: a blocked Original MQL Date and an overwritable MQL Date field.

Also, currently today, no, we don't date time stamp the other Lead Statuses, but we've also recently disconnected from Salesforce to clean duplicates so we're not using Lead Statuses very heavily at the moment. When we reconnect though I think we'll definitely institute those lifecycle best practices.

Erin_Olsen2
Level 3

Gotcha - I have decided on two fields. MQL First and MQL Last. MQL First is blocked field and MQL last will be the last time it turned MQL (and can be overwritten). I am thinking of also doing a counter to indicate how many times the MQL last date has changed. Not sure.

Thanks helping me think it through!

Erin

Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Erin,

That's pretty much what I do.  I have an MQL date and a Last MQL date.  So the first time a lead MQLs the MQL date and the Last MQL date get's stamped.

If it goes to nurture and comes back again, the Last MQL date gets stamped and changed but not the first.  For Lead status, we have a special lead status called re-nurtured or something to indicate it's back around instead of new.  All leads get a default status of raw, when it mqls the first time it gets set to new, if it comes back around again, it gets a different status which you can call whatever you want.