SOLVED

Random Sample Less Than 1

Go to solution
Helen_Abramova1
Level 5

Random Sample Less Than 1

I wonder if there is a way to get random sample less than 1%? It's not first time I need it, could n't find any way to figure it out rather than adding  additional filters. Are there any tricks?

UPD: Not ideal, but I added 1% to a list, than reference it in another smart list with random sample whatever I need.

Thanks,

Helen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Random Sample Less Than 1

Yes, 50% of 1% will give you 0.5%. But as Sanford points out, the risk is to get 0 as a result. It really depends on the DB sample.

When I need 5 or 10 leads for a test, I browse the database and pick a few manually.

-Greg

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Why would you want such a small sample?

Helen_Abramova1
Level 5

Hi Josh, I need it for testing purposes, data audit, pilot projects, etc.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You should be aware that random samples of 1-2% (let alone less) may not return ANY leads.

Helen_Abramova1
Level 5

Well, it means I am lucky   It worked for me so far.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

But you won't know when it stops working unless you're continually monitoring the size of the overall population.

Helen_Abramova1
Level 5

Thank you, will keep it in mind. Usually, I need it for one list pull or batch - when I want my sample to be more or less fair representation of the DB.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Yes, 50% of 1% will give you 0.5%. But as Sanford points out, the risk is to get 0 as a result. It really depends on the DB sample.

When I need 5 or 10 leads for a test, I browse the database and pick a few manually.

-Greg

lsimon
Level 2

I am trying to send 1 alert to someone, when an email is cast from an EP. I thought I could use random sample to send an alert to someone via 1 person or .25 %, for persons receiving an email from a nurture campaign.

Otherwise, I need to find an exact email being sent that cast, and add that one person in the flow step to send the alert.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@lsimon ,

can you explain a little more clearly what you're trying to achieve?  I've read and re-read your comment, and can't quite fathom it (maybe I just need more coffee!)

Cheers

Jo