Re: RCM/RCA/Succes Path Analyzer - Desperate help! :(

Tammy_Chan
Level 3

RCM/RCA/Succes Path Analyzer - Desperate help! :(

I’ve been running circles for the past 6 months with my Marketo Sales rep, customer service reps and tech engineers/tech support. I’ve been looking for a way to report on average time spent and transition between each of our contact status. I can’t seem to get a clear answer on. This is one of the major missing pieces in our metrics. I’ve been told numerous different things, at times they have also been inaccurate or conflicting and as a result I've purchased add on items that didn't do what i needed it to, like RCA.

I’m willing to purchase the add on’s that are suggested, but I’d like to be ensured it will do as expected.

I have built my revenue cycle model set it live, but didn’t realized this was an additional feature, so nothing worked. As a result I built smart campaigns with campaign member status’ (as a way to substitute the revenue cycle modeler) and artificially have them move along via status’. At this point the information I need exists in Marketo through the smart campaigns, but I’ve been looking into a way to report on avg time spent in a status. I've been told the following:

"The Lifecycle modeler package is the overarching package that contains RCM, Success path Analyzers, as well as the Opportunity Influence Analyzer.

Although RCM was built in your instance it was not active due to the service not being implemented. As a result no leads are currently in the stages. Marketo’s native instance automatically has the Modelers and that is why it is available on every instance even though I will not work until activated.

You need to leverage the flow step “revenue model stage” in your smart campaigns now and build it out to resemble what was built via smart campaigns. As data is collected the Analyzers will display data specific for leads interactions with the stages."

I'm not sure i'd have to utilize my flow step for revenue model stage if the below is how i built it. Also, i'm not sure if again my historic information would transfer over- does anyone know?

I'd be happy to have a quick conversation as well if anyone has time!!

1.PNG

12 REPLIES 12
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You have to do a few things:

• buy RCM and RCE.
  • Setup a lead lifecycle Program with the smart campaigns that listen for the transition points and then do
    • Change Revenue Stage
    • Change Data Value [Lifecycle Field]
  • In your RCM itself, it should ONLY listen for "Revenue Stage is Changed" that's it. The way you show above will NOT work.
  • Historic info
    • not really sure about your specific situation
    • you need a set of Batch flows that will push existing data into current buckets, then the triggers and main system will handle future data.
    • don't be surprised if you have zero data history for 3-4 months.
Tammy_Chan
Level 3

Thanks Josh! - yea thats my fear i don't want to purchase something where the historic information isn't there....

Curious to know why the i have it set up now wouldn't work? - I understand it doesn't work now b/c i don't have it, but not sure why that it wouldn't work since i have my smart campaigns changing the status, and the RCM is listening for the change status?

Josh_Hill13

It's not setup correctly the way you show it.

The historic data only gets built when your system is fully functioning and you have RCM/RCE active. Marketo can't know about your previous lead funnel if it's not recording the data.

Dan_Stevens_

I think what Josh is trying to stress here is that you wouldn't use the transition rules within RCM.  Instead, you need to build out a robust series of lead lifecycle campaigns which include the necessary logic to move leads to the appropriate stages based on specific activities/engagement (including the appropriate detours and fast-tracks).  Here's a snapshot of our LL campaigns:

pastedImage_0.png

Here's what a sample campaign looks like (this is the one where Marketing goes into CRM, qualifies the lead and assigns it to Sales - formally moving the lead into an MQL stage:

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

This is just a subset of the flow - which those key flowsteps highlighted that Josh originally pointed out ("Avanade Integrated Sales and Marketing Funnel" is the name of our revenue model in Marketo):

pastedImage_3.png

Tammy_Chan
Level 3

Thanks for the level of detail here, really appreciate it. I think I know where i may have went wrong- so I built all the smart campaigns similar to you:

1.PNG  2.PNG 3.PNG

Instead of using the "change rev. model" flow step - i changed the program status, b/c i thought the RCM would execute the stage transitions by the triggers used inside the 'directional arrows' - so it sounds like this is not how it works, and I need to go back and change my program smart campaigns' flow steps to include the "change rev. model status" - correct?

With all this in mind it doesn't sound likely i'd be able to somehow transition the information that has been collected through these smart campaigns into the RCM- when i turn it on...

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hi Tammy -

The RCM will execute the stage transitions dictated by triggers inside the directional arrows. However, the directional arrows can only move a person between 2 stages. So if, in your first example, the person is not in the Lead Nurture stage the directional arrow can't move her to MQ.

RCMs are one of the most complex things to build in Marketo, by the way - and there is more than one way to go about it. The way I was trained  to build models uses a combination of Smart Campaigns such as the ones Dan shared as well as the directional arrows in the RCM itself. The Smart Campaigns change a field value (like Lead Lifecycle Status) and those changes are the triggers in the directional arrows. Either way, I would look for detailed outside documentation or help from a consultant if you've never built an RCM before.

Denise

Dan_Stevens_

However, the directional arrows can only move a person between 2 stages.

Which why you'll see most models represent something like this - so that there is a path drawn for every possible stage conversion (and why you won't see, for example, an arrow drawn from "Prospect" to "MQL"):

pastedImage_0.png

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

But you CAN build logic to push the lead forward through from an earlier stage to a stage further down the success path. For example, using your screenshot, you can code so that if someone in Suspect's Lifecycle Status is changed to Sales Accepted, they will be pushed all the way through from Suspect to Prospect to Marketing to Sales Accepted.It's a little lengthy to type out the whole process here but the logic in the transitions (directional arrows) looks for Lifecycle Status changes to the target stage and all the downstream stages.

Tammy_Chan
Level 3

Thanks Denise! Do you have any recommendations for a consultant? I hired one but unfortunately she didn't work out.

Also, I write my smart campaigns so they could move back and forth- I know its complicated to put this all out here and try to talk about RCM/RCE via thread like this! but I'm pretty sure i set it up correctly from a smart campaign perspective b/c all the leads are moving accordingly-