SOLVED

Re: Question on Zoom Webinar Integration

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on Zoom Webinar Integration

Hi All - I'm currently testing the integration for Zoom. Possibly switching from GTW.

The instructions Zoom provides are easy to understand if you understand those Marketo basics like setting up a webhook and/or an integration, and even then I found there are some missing clarifications that Zoom could add to their documentation. I've provided that feedback to the Zoom team.

What I don't understand and would like an answer to is if I need to create a new webhook for each webinar I create to generate the unique join url? We have bi-weekly webinars, so I would be creating a lot of webhooks if this is the case. The answer I got from Zoom wasn't that clear to me.

Thank you,

Shirleen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

I ended up calling their support line and after 35 minutes we figured out that the Webinar ID token needs to be in this format 123456789, and not 123-456-789. I had the hyphens in mine so that is why there was an error.

Also, I confirmed with Zoom support that you only have to create multiple webhooks if you have more than one webinar registration open at the same time. This allows a unique join url to generate for attendees that could possibly register for both webinars. Luckily, this isn't the case for us, and we only need one webhook since we never have more than one webinar registration open at a time. If a person comes back in the future to register for another webinar, then their join url field will get overwritten with a new join url for the new webinar.

Also, this may help others: Even if you never created a Marketo field called 'JoinURL', the token {{lead.joinUrl}} will still show up as an option to use in an email to generate a person's unique webinar url for Zoom.

Thanks again for your help.

-Shirleen

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Shirleen,

I would be a very bad design of you had to create a new webhook for each webinar

The doc says the webhook call is supposed to be:

https://www.zoom.us/v1/webinar/register?id={{my.zoomWebinarId}}&first_name={{lead.First Name:default=xxx}}&last_name={{lead.Last Name:default=xxx}}&email={{lead.Email Address:default=xxx}}&api_key={{my.apiKey}}&api_secret={{my.apiSecret}}

Meaning, only 1 webhook, the rest is handled by the tokens, including the webinar ID that you need to store in a program token named zoomWebinarID, together with the API keys in similar tokens.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

I have the necessary tokens created in my webinar program for the webinar ID, api key, and api secret token. I've followed all of their instructions. I just tested the integration by filling out our Marketo form on a Marketo Landing Page, and I got the following error response on the webhook call:

{"error":{"code":300,"message":"Invalid input parameter: id"}}

Yes, I agree it wouldn't be a great idea to create multiple webhooks. This is what their documentation says and what has me confused.

Optional: If you have multiple webinars and would like to send emails from Marketo, you can set up unique response mappings. Repeat steps 13 and 14 to create a new webhook for each webinar. Then, create a response attribute for each webinar, renaming the Marketo Field associated with the join_URL Response Attribute for each webinar with a unique name, eg. joinURL, joinURL2 for the second webinar, joinURL3 for the third webinar."

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Shirleen,

Obviously, there is problem wit the ID. What value did you put into the zoomWebinarId token? If your webinar active in Zoom so that it can take registrations?

Hard to help you more here without an access to your Zoom and Marketo platforms.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

I ended up calling their support line and after 35 minutes we figured out that the Webinar ID token needs to be in this format 123456789, and not 123-456-789. I had the hyphens in mine so that is why there was an error.

Also, I confirmed with Zoom support that you only have to create multiple webhooks if you have more than one webinar registration open at the same time. This allows a unique join url to generate for attendees that could possibly register for both webinars. Luckily, this isn't the case for us, and we only need one webhook since we never have more than one webinar registration open at a time. If a person comes back in the future to register for another webinar, then their join url field will get overwritten with a new join url for the new webinar.

Also, this may help others: Even if you never created a Marketo field called 'JoinURL', the token {{lead.joinUrl}} will still show up as an option to use in an email to generate a person's unique webinar url for Zoom.

Thanks again for your help.

-Shirleen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Shirleen,

Thank you for posting this information, I was also confused by the documentation when setting up our Zoom integration a few months back. When I set up the integration, we decided it was okay to have confirmation emails with the unique join URL to come from Zoom, as you see here:

https://gyazo.com/b5625e546b887346e2de45134a84bda9 However, now we want to have our confirmation emails with the unique join URL to come from Marketo so they are nicely branded. Is this what you were referring to in the below comment?

I went and looked at the documentation and I see the "joinUrl" response mapping as part of the webhook (Setting Up Zoom for Marketo – Zoom Help Center  - step 14). However, outside of this brief mention in the documentation, there is no other information I could find about how Zoom would push the unique join URL to a token in Marketo other than your comment. Is it possible? I would assume that a Marketo field must be created to store and reference the {{lead.joinUrl}}. Were you able to successfully pass the unique join URL to Marketo and then deliver that to the lead in an email? Any additional information you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sierra

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

However, outside of this brief mention in the documentation, there is no other information I could find about how Zoom would push the unique join URL to a token in Marketo other than your comment. Is it possible? I would assume that a Marketo field must be created to store and reference the {{lead.joinUrl}}.

Yes, you need to create a Marketo field. I would not call it only joinURL as that's entirely too generic, but something like LastZoomJoinURL.

Then in Response Mappings you want join_url (Zoom's internal name for the field) on the left side and the Marketo field LastZoomJoinURL on the right.

Then it's a token like any other Marketo lead field.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sierra -

When I set Zoom up, I did exactly what Sanford mentioned:

"Yes, you need to create a Marketo field. I would not call it only joinURL as that's entirely too generic, but something like LastZoomJoinURL.

Then in Response Mappings you want join_url (Zoom's internal name for the field) on the left side and the Marketo field LastZoomJoinURL on the right.

Then it's a token like any other Marketo lead field."

Rod_Allen
Level 1

Hi Shirleen,

Thank you for this information, it is very helpful.

We are considering moving from GoToWebinar to Zoom as well. My concern is that we usually have 3 to 4 webinar registrations open at any given time. Have you had any experience with running multiple webhooks with multiple registrations? It seems that managing these would be very difficult.

Thanks,

Rod

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Rod - I do not have experience running multiple Zoom webhooks with multiple webinar registrations at the same time. We held off on transitioning to Zoom since we didn't have time to figure this out.