Re: Purchase Lead List checking post-Marketo retention policy and GDPR

Anonymous
Not applicable

Purchase Lead List checking post-Marketo retention policy and GDPR

I am trying to figure out who we now 'own' as a result of interaction with our email comms from a purchased data list. The general rule seems to be that if you have a click, then you can retain the record in the database.

Now with the recent retention policy from Marketo, this seems a little tricky. I would also like to assess the list by using the 'Not Clicked' etc filters, but again, this now seems more difficult than before.

Does anyone have a way that I can assess a list of records for interaction/no interaction and successfully highlight those that we are legally ok to retain and those that we must delete?

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Depends on your contract with the Vendor.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Michael,

per the GDPR, it’s unlikely you are allowed to import the list in Marketo a send them an email in the first place, because these people have not been in contact with your company before the import and have even less had the occasion to give you a consent.

if the email is sent by the list provider, you will obviously not register the clicks, on.y the visits to you landing pages and following form fill out, at which moment you can ask for a consent.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

But are you saying that in the B to B world you won't be buying lists any more...so all those list sellers will go out of business? surely this isn't going to happen?

and the list we bought was 12 months ago - so my main point was, if Marketo is archiving certain activity log data within a very short period of time now, how can I accurately assess whether I had clicks etc 6/9 months ago? 

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Michael,

It's not that we will not buy any list, it's that we would only buy from vendors that route the emails themselves, with clear mention that they are doing it in partnership with us, but on their behalf and under their responsibility and including links to our landing pages.

Anyway, buying lists and importing them in your Marketo DB was really not a good practice. The data quality was generally very poor. But if you had to do it, you would isolate these imports people in static lists and you can still do the same when one of them clicks. Also remember that, with the event of last generation anti-phishing systems, there are more and more non-human clicks.

-Greg

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

There is a doc on purchased lists here Best Practices for Purchased Data .  If they have not consented to email from your business it is against Marketo Use Policy to email them.