SOLVED

Pull a field value into an email from a custom object field

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pull a field value into an email from a custom object field

Hey all,

I'm trying to add a contact's certification renewal date value (coming from a custom SFDC object) into an email. When I add the field into the Email Script Token, I get this:

pastedImage_0.png

I understand there is this documentation, but I honestly don't know what it is saying, nor am I going to take the time to understand a new language.

How do I pull a field value into a Marketo email from a custom object field?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Matthew_Barnet1
Level 2

Re: Pull a field value into an email from a custom object field

Have you read Marketo's related documentation? Email Scripting » Marketo Developers

When creating the token script in Marketo, you have to have the field you want to pull in checked off in the right hand panel. Otherwise, the field values remain "invisible" to the script and instead of pulling in the actual values it just pulls in the field label - which seems to be what's happening in your case.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Shouldn't that just be a token that is available?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Josh Hill It's a field that lives on a custom SFDC object, I understood that you need to use an email script token to pull it into an email. Is that not the case?

Matthew_Barnet1
Level 2

Have you read Marketo's related documentation? Email Scripting » Marketo Developers

When creating the token script in Marketo, you have to have the field you want to pull in checked off in the right hand panel. Otherwise, the field values remain "invisible" to the script and instead of pulling in the actual values it just pulls in the field label - which seems to be what's happening in your case.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matthew has pretty much accurately summarized the way to go!

Just some additional helpful hints (or heads up) -

Do you have duplicate records in your SFDC? If so, then read on -

Are you planning to send emails via Batch or Trigger? If you are doing batch email blast and have duplicate records, please test thoroughly!! I have seen data picked from any of the duplicate records randomly.

To overcome this problem, we have implemented Trigger based emails. Hence the email is sent out only to that record (out of the dupes) which gets updated in SFDC. In this case, we have used $TriggerObject.

Tim_Langlois1
Level 4

Yes you do have to use an email script token if you want to use tokens on a custom object. Yes it does entail writing script. Most marketers will need to tap one of their in house web developers to accomplish this.

Alternately, put the certificate renewal date as a custom field on the SF Contact object and then you can use a standard token instead.