Re: Pros and cons to deleting unsubscribed leads in Marketo and not CRM

James_Leedom1
Level 2 - Champion Alumni

Pros and cons to deleting unsubscribed leads in Marketo and not CRM

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anybody has information on the pros and cons to cleaning up your database by deleting leads who have unsubscribed from our communications. I have set up an initial batch campaign for this as well as a nightly run that will keep the database perpetually clean. Any information as to why this should or should not be done?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Lauren_Beth
Level 6

Hi James - We keep our unsubscribed contacts to stay compliant with their wishes and instead clean up through a variety of other nightly batches related to hard bounces, lack of activity, etc.  I'd suggest doing that over wiping them based on unsubscribes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, a couple things here, you want to maintain your unsubscribes because you may re-acquire them later some how.  Also, unsubscribes may be interacting with you over other channels and they just don't like email for some reason.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If someone is unsubscribed and gets deleted from your database, Marketo will automatically check the Unsubscribe box if they are re-entered. So re-acquiring that person is not a problem in the sense that you are in danger of emailing them again. However it can be problematic in that sales people are often disappointed to 'discover' a new contact to add to Salesforce when they find out the person has already unsubscribed previously.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To add one extra level, depending on your business you may have an operational email that needs to be sent to everyone regardless of their email unsubscribe settings.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni