Progressive Profiling

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Progressive Profiling

AFAIK the browsers all work the same w/r/t cookies as a whole in their corresponding private modes. But Firefox will block connections to known tracking services (including Munchkin) in Private Browsing mode, which in turn affects the Munchkin cookie (since if the JS can't load, the cookie can't be set).  But it doesn't block cookies in general, and you can turn off this functionality so it works like Chrome Incognito.

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Firefox is my primary browser so that explains why I've had trouble with it in this regard. Thanks again, Sandy!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Denise,

I did just that! I cleared my cookies and also tried incognito, so i'm still unsure of why it wasn't working for me. But it is good to hear that it worked for everybody else. Thanks all for testing!

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hi Megan,

Did you also fill in the form with an email address that wasn't already in Marketo?

Denise

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Denise,

That's a great point. I don't think I did when I was doing my original testing. Thanks for pointing that out!

SanfordWhiteman

Sanford, I agree that it's eventually going to cause confusion that Title is dependant upon Department. Do you have any suggestions on how to work around this?

Well... it's not just confusing as a setup, it flatly won't work as-is. (I was understating it. )

You can't have a 2nd field's visibility depend on a 1st field, where the 1st field may be skipped entirely by Progressive Profiling rules. (You can have a field that depends on a Hidden field, just not on a skipped field.)

What happens in this case is because the 1st field (Department) does not exist in the form when it's skipped, the 2nd field (Job Title) doesn't fulfill its dependency on the 1st. So the 2nd remains permanently in "pending Visibility Rule" state, where it is not visible. Yet because it is empty, the form will not progress beyond it.

You need custom JavaScript to solve this conflict.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Sanford.

So say we want to keep our regular forms on some pages (say our contact us form) and put prog prof forms on other pages. Since I would still need the visibility rules on department and title for our normal form what would I do in order to get rid of it on the prog prof forms? Would that be custom JS as well? or am I completely missing something here?

Thank you!!

SanfordWhiteman

I don't get the question exactly. If you don't want the VRs in the ProgPro block... then remove the VRs from the ProgPro block.