Progressive Profiling checkbox

Anonymous
Not applicable

Progressive Profiling checkbox

I have a form that has a checkbox to obtain consent.  I only want this field to display if they have not already checked it (value=true) problem is that even if they do not check it a value gets set (false), and therefore the next time they visit the form the check box does not appear.  I understand I can make this always appear whether checked or not, but that is not what I am looking for. 
I am using this field for the new CASL legislation and would rather not display this box if they have already given consent.
I am using forms 1.0 BTW
Any thoughts?
Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Progressive Profiling checkbox

I'm working on the same thing right now. I created 3 new fields: opt-in, opt-in date and opt-in source (what form they opted in on). When someone checks the box to opt-in, the date and source get populated. What if you created an opt-in date field, added it as a hidden field in your form and only showed the checkbox if that field is empty? Would that work in 1.0?
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

I'm going to assume that there's a good reason why you aren't using forms 2.0, but also going to add that it is really easy to do conditional visibility using forms 2.0.

That said, checkboxes are boolean fields, so they should always have a value of either true or false. I'm sure you've come to the conclusion above by testing, but is there any other reason that might cause this checkbox not to appear when someone revisits? Maybe it isn't due to the value being set, but something else that is being overlooked here.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your suggestions!
Caroline,
I am capturing opt in date as well, but I dont think I can do what you are suggestiong in 1.0 without custom programming.

Dory,
I would like to switch to 2.0 but there are a lot of forms that have been created, that are in iframes on our website that have a lot of css hacks in place (ie displaying the label inside the form field), and in the short term converting them all to 2.0 is not feasible.
I know if I make the field 'always visible' it will show everytime a user comes back but I do not want to show it if they already checked it. 
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Jason, did you ever find a solution here?  Even though we use Forms 2.0, and while what Dory said about the ease of adding conditional logic (visibility rules) to the show/hide a field, that conditional logic cannot include rules based on the same form field.  For example, my initial thought was to only show the field/checkbox if OptIn is FALSE.  But the logic can only include another field (e.g., show STATE field if country is US, show PROVINCE field if country is Canada).  So I cannot include a rule that says "SHOW if OptIn is FALSE".  I can select any other field in my form EXCEPT the OptIn one.  I don't understand why Marketo chose to limit it like this.
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Dan, to solve for this I have an "OptIn Form" field, and an "OptIn" field. The form version is used on all of my forms, and there are triggered campaigns in the background to change the OptIn field if the form field value is changed. In doing this, I can also add my OptIn field as a hidden field on my form to determine whether or not the OptIn Form field should show. 

Hope this makes sense, let me know if it doesn't. 
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Thanks for the explanation, Dory.  I suppose the same thing could be done with an "OptIn Date" field.  This would be the hidden field and if a value exists, don't show the "Optin" checkbox/field. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

this would only work for Marketo forms on a Marketo LP right, not on an external page where the forms are being embedded?

I´ve tried with just progressive profiling and that seems to work fine.. i´ve been reading lots of other suggestions here and it´s frustrating to not find anything official or "best practice" from Marketo on how to best set this up. I´m always finding out about new ideas, and then this or that doesn´t work in the end.

Is there anything against using progressive profiling for an Opt-in checkbox? It seems to work fine for me on an embedded form: it shows every time until i check the box. Then its gone on all other forms as well where i use the same checkbox.

Your suggestiong with the "OptIn Date" field condition did not work for me (assuming because its a non-marketo page).

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Michael Beyer​, Sanford Whiteman probably has a good solution for that. I didn't tag him here on purpose, but if you start a new question thread and tag him, he might be able to help you out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Dory Viscogliosi​, i´m tagging Sanford directly to not open a new thread, as there are enough already about the same topic without helpful solutions.

Sanford Whiteman​ you have helped me on other questions already Hope you can advise about this:

Is there anything against using progressive profiling for an Opt-in checkbox (on non-marketo pages)?

It seems to work fine for me on an embedded form: it shows every time until i check the box. Then its gone on all other forms as well where i use the same checkbox.

Dory´s and Dan´s suggestiong (in this thread) with the "OptIn Date" field condition did not work for me (assuming because its a non-marketo page). Can you confirm this? Please let me know if you have a better solution.

Thanks,

Michael