SOLVED

Progressive Profiling Form does not submit a POST request

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Progressive Profiling Form does not submit a POST request

Hi, we are using a form with progressive profiling. It loads just fine, however, submitting the version of the form with only the e-mail field showing - it does not work. Basically, as silly as it sounds, clicking the submit button does not trigger a POST request. Link: 3connectIT - API family that enables automated integration

First thing I noticed was that a couple of empty divs with the class mktoFormRow were aligned over the button and it's containing row mktoButtonRow. So off I went to use z-index, positioning etc.. to get the button to be the foremost element in the stacking order. Did that, but no luck. Still, the button click does nothing in Marketo. However, we have Facebook and Google Analytics conversion/event tracking installed and those register the button click just fine (and I tested that those fired specifically on clicking the button and not any other element) - even when no C

So how can we get this to work? I am at my wit's end. Recap:

When the form shows a single field (e-mail address, when a cookie is present):

• Google Analytics and Facebook tracking register events based on the button click so the button is clickable to them (not hidden behind the rows)
  • Marketo does not start a POST request
  • Using CSS z-index, positioning and margins to manipulate the button, it's containing span or row does not change the behaviour.

When the form shows all 3 fields (another browser, cookies cleared etc..):

• Marketo does its POST submission as usual
  • GA and FB register events as expected etc..

Message was edited by: Robert Jakobson, to add a link

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Progressive Profiling Form does not submit a POST request

I believe you'll find that you've been forcibly hiding (display:none;) the clues you need to debug this.

For example, when I view the form, the Country dropdown is hidden using CSS. It also has not had a value set programmatically... yet it is a required field, so the form cannot submit in this state.

As a result, when clicking  the form fails to validate (that's why it doesn't actually put the form data on the wire) but you don't see an informative error message, because the offending element has been hidden and along with it the .mktoError fragment.

This is also an object lesson in why firing tracking pixels on a naïve button click or form submit event is not the right approach, because every attempted form submit will log a hit to your analytics service, even if the form is not valid. You must use the Forms 2.0 event model and only fire such a pixel when the form has passed validation.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

There is no possible way we can troubleshoot this if you don't link to your page.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SanfordWhiteman

I believe you'll find that you've been forcibly hiding (display:none;) the clues you need to debug this.

For example, when I view the form, the Country dropdown is hidden using CSS. It also has not had a value set programmatically... yet it is a required field, so the form cannot submit in this state.

As a result, when clicking  the form fails to validate (that's why it doesn't actually put the form data on the wire) but you don't see an informative error message, because the offending element has been hidden and along with it the .mktoError fragment.

This is also an object lesson in why firing tracking pixels on a naïve button click or form submit event is not the right approach, because every attempted form submit will log a hit to your analytics service, even if the form is not valid. You must use the Forms 2.0 event model and only fire such a pixel when the form has passed validation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sanford, we had some older default styling on the page that overrides the desired behaviour at times.