Program naming convention for PPC/SEM

Anonymous
Not applicable

Program naming convention for PPC/SEM

I inherited a Marketo instance that has program naming convention in place already (yay!), but the way they have structured their SEM programs is where I am stuck and am looking for any best practice advice. All of their programs for that channel were created in 2016 so the naming convention is YY-MM-CHANNEL-VERTICAL-UNIQUE IDENTIFIER, so in this case 16-02-SEM-.... Multiple users have added a series of new landing pages and smart campaigns to those programs over the months before I came on board and they just built out a new set of landing pages for SEM that they want to point all paid traffic to. My question is, for a channel such as this that is "ongoing", but in this case constantly adding new landing pages as A/B testing variants or replacing old landing pages with new ones, would you recommend brand new programs by year or quarter? Please note these Marketo programs and their naming conventions map to matching Salesforce campaigns so names would need to be updated in that system as well. Any thoughts on this would be very helpful!

1 REPLY 1
Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Program naming convention for PPC/SEM

This is a good question, and many may have different opinions about it.

For reference - we do ours yearly.  The good news is, in salesforce your dashboards/reports with CPL and number of leads generated/number of opps can update based on time period, so even if you don't create new programs for a while your reporting will still be accurate. In your reports for example you can say Create Date = LAST QUARTER or LAST WEEK or LAST 90 DAYS etc and it will continually update.