SOLVED

Problem with token pulling first name

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with token pulling first name

I am seeing inconsistency when I test emails using the Lead. First Name token. It does not consistently pull the first name. I need some guidance before I send my email. Please advise.

Thanks.

Catherine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Scott_McKeighe2
Level 5

Re: Problem with token pulling first name

Hey Catherine,

If you right click on an email asset within Marketo, you'll be presented with the option to "Send Sample." That'll bring up a window allowing you to select a lead from your database to key off of in your sample for all {{Lead.X}} values, and a recipient email address (like yours) to see how it renders in the inbox.

send-sample.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 7.31.45 AM.png

If you leave the Lead field blank, the message will fall back to the default token values you've set in the email. Otherwise, they should populate with the personalized ones.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Can you be more specific? Screenshot?

{{lead.First Name}} will pull whatever is in that field. If nothing, then it will either be blank or you can do:  {{lead.First Name:default=Colleague}}

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh.

I verified that in every case, the first name field has a name in it, but my tests are inconsistent. Attached are the examples.

I created two leads using all identical data except the email address. Not sure what I am missing...

test_one_with_name.PNGtest_two_without_name.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Catherine,

Are you consistently choosing to send the test as if to a contact? It looks like in the examples you posted the first one is sent as if it is sent directly to that contact, but in the second, it looks like it is just sent as a generic test. When I send myself test emails from the email edit screen it seems to default to sending a test as if it's going to a contact, however, when I send it from the Marketing Programs or Design Studio lists it sends it just as a generic test (like your second one) so it always sets my name tokens to the default.

Just something to check in case it's causing the inconsistency.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. Interesting. I will need to see if that is the case. I am new to Marketo and didn't know there was a difference. I just got another email from an ongoing nurture campaign now that I am in the database that has my name in it.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, there is the "Live Test" that goes to you, but acts like it was for a real lead. If you leave that empty, it is a dud test that just sends the basic email.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh- Can you please tell me the steps to see a test with the first name incorporated? I am anxious to get this out.

Thanks.

Catherine

Scott_McKeighe2
Level 5

Hey Catherine,

If you right click on an email asset within Marketo, you'll be presented with the option to "Send Sample." That'll bring up a window allowing you to select a lead from your database to key off of in your sample for all {{Lead.X}} values, and a recipient email address (like yours) to see how it renders in the inbox.

send-sample.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-06-12 at 7.31.45 AM.png

If you leave the Lead field blank, the message will fall back to the default token values you've set in the email. Otherwise, they should populate with the personalized ones.

Hope this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Scott.

I am new to this system and just stepped in for someone who left abruptly. After doing the above many times, and getting inconsistent results, I discovered that Salesforce was not syncing and only new leads that I added manually to Marketo were pulling names.

So, problem solved.

Catherine

Anonymous
Not applicable

Catherine Weber​ Great to hear. Have a good week.