SOLVED

Re: Preventing MEL/MCLs from syncing to Salesforce

Go to solution
Jessica_Korn
Level 3

Preventing MEL/MCLs from syncing to Salesforce

Hi All - Due to overeager sales reps, we've decided to prevent leads from syncing into Salesforce until they've become MQLs.

We thought this would be fine, until we realized as a result of this change we would not be able to use Salesforce UTM campaigns to track attributed revenue/opportunities to specific campaign activities.

Prior to this change, adding a lead to a SFDC campaign would be a step in the campaign flow, using UTM tracking source.  More times than not, that lead is not an MQL.

Is there a way to add a lead to a specific SFDC campaign only after they have become an MQL? I wish there was a two point flow step that I could use like :

If Lifecycle status is MQL and UTM tracking source is empty = Add to x SFDC campaign

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nicholas_Hajdin
Level 7 - Champion Alumni

I second Floyd's comment in changing the view permissions in SFDC. Preventing SFDC sync can lead to unintended potential duplicates if Sales creates a contact in SFDC that already exists as a non-synced lead in Marketo. If you setup the SFDC view to only show Status = MQL, you can control who Sales sees in their lead queue. The early-stage sync prevents duplicates, and the restricted view keeps the over-eagers Sales reps in check.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

Hi Jessica,

Is there a way to add a lead to a specific SFDC campaign only after they have become an MQL? I wish there was a two point flow step that I could use like :

I do not see why not? you could just use "Data Value Changes trigger on LifeCycle Status" is MQL and a filter where UTM tracking source = empty and then add them to the respective SFDC campaign. Unless based on your information the UTM tracking source is only populated by SFDC?

Alternatively, if you do not want the Sales Reps to get a hold of those leads that have not reached MQL, you could technically hide these leads from view based on the account owner etc? And only change them to the specific sales rep once Marketo flags the Lifecycle Stage as MQL. In this way the records are syncing normally between SFDC and Marketo and you are not loosing on the tracking ability but potentially preventing the sales reps from being too over eager.

Just my thoughts - I may not have understood the actual issue here.

Thanks

Floyd

Nicholas_Hajdin
Level 7 - Champion Alumni

I second Floyd's comment in changing the view permissions in SFDC. Preventing SFDC sync can lead to unintended potential duplicates if Sales creates a contact in SFDC that already exists as a non-synced lead in Marketo. If you setup the SFDC view to only show Status = MQL, you can control who Sales sees in their lead queue. The early-stage sync prevents duplicates, and the restricted view keeps the over-eagers Sales reps in check.

Jessica_Korn
Level 3

Thank you both for your assistance. I'll speak with my manager and our SFDC Admin. and make this recommendation.