SOLVED

Pre-fill Marketo form from external source?

Go to solution
Diana_Watts3
Level 3

Pre-fill Marketo form from external source?

Hi community,

Our client currently runs third party surveys, which leads fill out, and are then presented with a further option to fill out another quick survey and go in the draw to win $500. If they agree to the second survey, then they are sent off the third party site and onto our client's Marketo landing page and form.

The information that they provided on the initial third-party form mirrors what they are being asked to provide on our client's MLP. Our third party supplier believes that by pre-filling the data from one form to the next, they will get a much better response rate, however attempts to do this via a URL have all failed.

The URL they are attempting to use looks something like this:

http://go.hyundai.co.nz/Hyundai-Test-Drive-Survey.html?mktg_medium=link&mktg_source=rokt&mktg_campai...

I don't know enough about forms and coding to understand why this doesn't work - is anyone able to shed some light on this? Theory says it should work, but I'm sure there are Marketo limitations I don't know about, or a requirement for coding to work around!

Thank you,

Diana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Pre-fill Marketo form from external source?

The closer term within Marketo is "AutoFill", not "Pre-Fill."

They both are variations of filling out form fields without user intervention, but AutoFill specifically allows for query parameters (such as the mktg_medium, mktg_campaign, etc. used here) to fill in fields.

However, AutoFill only works out-of-the-box for hidden fields: you can add a Hidden type field to your form and then you'll see the AutoFill option at the lower right, where you can pick a query param to act as a data source.

You can also fill visible fields from query params, but that takes a tiny bit of extra JavaScript -- if you search the Community I've shown how to do it before.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The closer term within Marketo is "AutoFill", not "Pre-Fill."

They both are variations of filling out form fields without user intervention, but AutoFill specifically allows for query parameters (such as the mktg_medium, mktg_campaign, etc. used here) to fill in fields.

However, AutoFill only works out-of-the-box for hidden fields: you can add a Hidden type field to your form and then you'll see the AutoFill option at the lower right, where you can pick a query param to act as a data source.

You can also fill visible fields from query params, but that takes a tiny bit of extra JavaScript -- if you search the Community I've shown how to do it before.

Diana_Watts3
Level 3

Thanks Sandford Whiteman, much appreciated as always. I suspected there might have been some JavaScript involved, which is out of my area of expertise! I will let the client know and see whether they still want to proceed on that basis.

Thank you!