SOLVED

Potential Performance Issues for Sending All Engagement Program Casts on Same Day?

Go to solution
Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Potential Performance Issues for Sending All Engagement Program Casts on Same Day?

I have a client with 10 Engagement Programs and most of them have multiple streams. The total number of streams (in all the Engagement Programs combined) is 27-30. There are a total of just over 161K people active (cadence = normal) in all the Engagement Programs combined.

Currently the different streams send once per week on a variety of different days and times - mostly in the sending time zone. My client would like to change this so that all the streams send on the same day/time each week using the recipient time zone. Is there reason for concern that this change might have problematic performance implications?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Potential Performance Issues for Sending All Engagement Program Casts on Same Day?

if you are using timezone, the emails go out at all diff times, so the load isn't a prob from any point of view.

I have alot more leads running in lots of engagements and there hasn't been a load issue EXCEPT when you set them to the Same Day, Time (or nearly) because then

• Marketo initiates dozens of background batch campaigns
  • the other Engagements won't know to adhere to Comms Limits (needs 3-6 hours).
  • your IP looks a bit spammy.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Devraj_Grewal

Re: Potential Performance Issues for Sending All Engagement Program Casts on Same Day?

Denise,

While sending the same day/time each week may seem easier to manage, I would urge against this. There are significant benefits to "email throttling", which is spreading out the email send over several hours, not all at once. Here is a great resource: D'oh! Email Throttling

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hi Devraj,

Thank you for the link to the useful post. What I was actually asking about was a different issue though - the effect on Marketo performance of teeing up all those emails for all those people - particularly with the added load of calculating recipient time zone. Any thoughts on that?

Sanford Whiteman​, Gregoire Michel​, Josh Hill - Any ideas on the performance question?

Regarding the throttling issue - does that apply equally when you are sending a whole bunch of separate emails rather than one email to a huge audience? If it makes a difference, my client has a Marketo dedicated IP address.

Denise

Josh_Hill13

if you are using timezone, the emails go out at all diff times, so the load isn't a prob from any point of view.

I have alot more leads running in lots of engagements and there hasn't been a load issue EXCEPT when you set them to the Same Day, Time (or nearly) because then

• Marketo initiates dozens of background batch campaigns
  • the other Engagements won't know to adhere to Comms Limits (needs 3-6 hours).
  • your IP looks a bit spammy.
Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Thank you, Josh!

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hey Josh Hill -

Regarding the Comms Limits which you mentioned need 3-6 hours. This isn't an issue for the Engagement Programs because no one is in more than one. However, my client sends webinar invitations periodically to the same audience as is in the Engagement Programs and they don't want to them to receive 2 emails in one day (which the Comms Limits are set to ensure).

If, the webinar invitation were scheduled to go out, say, at 9am recipient time zone on a Wednesday and the Engagement Programs are scheduled for 11am recipient time zone - also on a Wednesday, would that be enough of a time gap for the Comms Limits to be calculated properly so as to ensure the Engagement Program emails weren't sent that day? Your remark about "3-6 hours" leads me to think that there's a risk someone may receive both emails. (BTW - I can't find any documentation on how the Comms Limits work under the hood. Do you know of any?)