Re: Possible to pass email as hidden field?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible to pass email as hidden field?

We are currently setting up a landing page that will be associated to an EDM sent through Marketo (meaning no one else will have the URL to the landing page). In order to make the form smaller we do not want to have to ask user for information like firstname, lastname, and even email. Every single one of these users also has a "Company Name" and that is a form field visible (and editable) to user.

I have two questions:

1. Is it possible to send the email field (if it is a requirement) as a hidden field that gets pre-populated just based on the fact that the person who who came to the URL clicked on a link in the EDM? (we understand that if he forwards the email to a friend who then clicks it may cause issues but this is something that will not happen in this rare case)

2. Is it also possible to assure that the Company Name is pre-populated based on them clicking the URL on the email and therefore knowing who he/she is?

If the answer is no (automatically) to either what is a way to be able to make it happen?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Iryna_Zhuravel4
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

yes, all of this is possible, I am guessing you don't want people to type the email address since you already have it, check out the following support articles:

Disable Pre-fill for a Form Field - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation - don't see an article on how to enable pre-fill but this one should do

Configure Form Progressive Profiling - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation

Show Custom HTML Form for Known People - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation - you might choose not to show the form altogether, you could display the company name and any other info as a token in the custom html + the submit button

There is no need really to "pass" the company name or email in your case, all the leads filling your form will be known to Marketo so it will associate the form submission with the right lead that already has the email field populated. If you do not want to collect any new info through this form, just do the custom html option, if you want to get them to fill in some additional info that you don't have on them in your db opt for the progressive profiling option.

One caveat though, all of this works out of the box on marketo landing pages, if you are sending them to a non-marketo lp with a Marketo form embedded the setup will be a bit more complicated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for these. I had actually viewed them but my problem is basically his:

Set a Hidden Form Field Value - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation  I want to set "email address" as a hidden field, when the user clicks on a link in the EDM and comes to my page it automatically fills the email address.
In the above document there are 3 methods to autofill however I am not sure which of these works in my case since it is not really a URL Parameter nor a "Cookie" per say.

Also the same for "Company Name" I just need it to be pre-populated just because the user clicked on a link in the newsletter and therefore it is clear who he/she is.
By the way I am using a Marketo Landing Page and Marketo Form so should be easier.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You don't need to add these as Hidden fields is what Iryna is saying.

Links in Marketo emails are already tracked to the recipient's lead record by default. You need only add fields you want them to modify.