SOLVED

Possible to add which form was filled out to a smart list?

Go to solution
Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Possible to add which form was filled out to a smart list?

Each week, I look at who has filled out a form by updating the date range on a smart list I have created in the Lead Database. The only qualification is that a lead has filled out any form. However, I'm wondering if it's possible to add a column to the leads report that shows WHICH form each lead filled out. It seems like it should be pretty straight-forward without having to go one by one through each of my landing pages to try to manually map it out.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Thank you!

Marisa

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: Possible to add which form was filled out to a smart list?

You're welcome!

1.  Yes, one campaign, once activated, would work for any form fill out in your instance, no matter where the form lives, in Design Studio or an program.

2  No, you wouldn't need the custom field on your forms because the trigger campaign would capture the name of the form and populate the field after fill out.

3. The {{trigger.name}} token will populate with whatever the name of the asset is that triggered the campaign.  If it's a Filled Out Form trigger, then yes, it will be the name of the form.  If you're using that token in a campaign with a Visited Web Page trigger though, then the token would populate with the name of the webpage that was visited.  The token takes its value from the trigger, and it will always be the name of the asset (i.e. form name, website, etc)

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marisa Rybar​ FYI. I moved your post to the Products and Support

Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Sorry about that. I'm new to Marketo. Thank you!

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Marisa,

This could be done with a custom field and a token.

First, you would create a new custom field to hold the name of the form.  You could then set up a trigger campaign with a Fills Out Form > Is Any trigger.

The flow for the campaign would be a Change Data Value flow step, and you would choose the new custom field you created.  The new value for that field would be {{trigger.name}}, and this token would populate with whatever the name of the form is that they filled out.

You could then add the custom field to your smartlist view and you'd be able to see the most recent form each lead had filled out.  Keep in mind though that this will only populate for leads filling out forms after you activate the trigger campaign, and that campaign will overwrite the custom field each time leads fill out a form.  You'll always see the most recent form name in that field.

John

Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Thanks, John!

I'm finally now getting around to trying this out, and I have a question. Are you suggesting that I create a new custom field for each form where the name of the form is the name of the custom field? Or do I create a custom field that is named "Form Title", for which I add the form title in a text field on the form itself?

I really appreciate your help on this!

Best,

Marisa

John_Clark1
Level 10

You would only need to create a single custom field.  The trigger campaign you set up would trigger anytime a lead fills out a form and populate the name of the form they filled out into that custom field.  This is done by the Change Data Value flow step and {{trigger.name}} token.  That token populates with the name of the form the lead filled out whenever they trigger the campaign.  Does that make sense?

John

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Or do I create a custom field that is named "Form Title", for which I add the form title in a text field on the form itself?

This is what John meant.  I wouldn't call it Form Title, though.  I'd call it something like Last Form Title (if you are not preventing people from overwriting it on subsequent fillouts) or First Form Title (if you do choose to block updates).

Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Thanks guys. I'm still a little unclear though. (Sorry, I'm new at this.)

First part of my question:

So, when I'm creating my New Custom Field (as seen below), Sanford, you're suggesting I create this with the Name "Last Form Title." (By the way, I want to track all of the forms people fill out, not just the most recent one. Would you still call it this?) And I would create it as a String type, correct?

pastedImage_0.png

Second part of my question:

Then when I'm creating the form, I add the custom field. (Which I've tried here below.) Here's where I really get lost though.

1. How do I specify the form title as the response to field?

2. How can I hide this from prospects who are filling it out? (It would look really tacky for the landing page to show the form names on them.)

pastedImage_1.png

John_Clark1
Level 10

You're right about the custom field being a string.

The issue with trying to track all of the forms a lead has filled out, is that you can't really do this simply with a single field.  The method I'm describing would give you the most recent form they filled out, and all of the rest of the form fill out activities would live on their lead record.  This custom field you're creating would get over-written each time they filled out a new field.

For the second part of your question, you can add the custom field to every form you create and set it to a Hidden type field on the form.  You would then edit the value for the hidden field to use a default value every time the form is submitted.  This is a value you would give it.

pastedImage_0.png

The other option is to have a smart campaign automatically populate this custom field whenever any form is filled out.  The smart list for your campaign would be a Filled Out Form trigger > Is Any.  This will fire anytime any form is submitted.  The flow for that campaign would be like below.

pastedImage_1.png

This flow step would fill the custom field with whatever the name of the form was that triggered the campaign.  You can see more about the trigger tokens here Tokens Glossary - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Does that make more sense?

Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, ok. I think I'm understanding a little better now. And this is an either/or situation, right? I don't need to do the trigger campaign if I've already set default value on the hidden form field, right?