Re: Populate Fake Emails Option?

Mathew_Kuehl
Level 3

Populate Fake Emails Option?

I am trying to solve for a large amount of records in our instance that do not have email addresses.  Since Marketo uses this, and apparently only this, as a viable import unique identifier I am unable to bulk update these leads, or export the list with any intention of re-importing it with updates.  What are some work arounds or best practices anyone else has used? 

I am currently debating populating the leads with email addresses that have x@y.invalid, but even then I have no way to mass update these leads in Marketo.  Is there any workflow logic that could be used to populate unique fake email addresses for all leads that are lacking an email account?

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can use a webhook to set the addresses to a random GUID@noemail.invalid.

However, changing the Email field via webhook is a special case. You will need to set another custom field, then trigger off a Change Data Value to that second field and set the Email in a Flow step. Then there's the issue that webhooks and batch campaigns don't mix. So it's a complex process, but I can attest that does work.

Mathew_Kuehl
Level 3

Thank you very much, Sanford.  I will look into this one.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

... and also note the API can be used to set attributes based on (previously exported) Lead IDs, if you're into that.