Personalized URLs

Laura_Starkie
Level 2

Re: Personalized URLs

Hi @hermana 

I'd say it depends on the structure of the personalised URL. Some I have seen simply append the users email address to the end of a standard link - i.e. www.eventplatform.com?lead_email_address, in this example you could simply build the link in your email templates and use person tokens to append the email address.

If the personalised URL is more unique/complex than this, we have recently worked with our event partner to create a webhook so that when someone registers, the webhook is triggered and the event platform writes the personalised URL into a person field in the database which we can then use in emails by inserting the field as a token. It sounds like your links will be generated pre-registration so you could base the trigger on them being added to your program as a member pre-sending the invite rather than them having registered.

Hope this makes sense/helps.

Tags (1)
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'd say it depends on the structure of the personalised URL. Some I have seen simply append the users email address to the end of a standard link - i.e. www.eventplatform.com?lead_email_address...

Note this can't be done safely unless you use a Velocity {{my.token}}.

Using {{lead.Email Address}} directly in a URL will break on many email addresses, as they need to be URL-encoded.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Laura_Starkie, bumping this so you know for the future: you can't safely include {{lead.Email Address}} directly in a URL, as I noted in my first reply. It must be encoded, therefore Velocity $esc.url is mandatory.

A field that is guaranteed to only include ASCII A-Za-z0-9 characters or is guaranteed to steer clear of reserved URL characters can be used directly as a {{lead.token}}. But Email Addresses don't (at all!) meet that requirement. In contrast, an all-numeric or alphanumeric Contract ID could be used directly.

hermana
Level 2

Thank you for your help. 

To clarify, the links that I am adding to the email are personalized to each person. The links are contracts, so they need to go to the right person. Based on your reply, I need to use the following tokens: {{lead.tokens}} and {{company.tokens}} ?