Personalization/Segmentation function

Anonymous
Not applicable

Personalization/Segmentation function

Just wondering if this can be done in Marketo:

I want to send an email to a lead (ex.Bob) and when they click on the email they will land on the microsite (non-marketo web page)

(c) Which will read Hi Bob, welcome back.

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Personalization/Segmentation function

Sure, for the most basic approach, attach that data (Base64-encoded if you think it looks better) to the link, then pull it out using JS on the destination page.

Less basic, but in a way easier to manage: send them to a Marketo-hosted LP (that they will never see) that contains {{lead.tokens}}, does the Base64'ing, and redirects them offsite.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks for looking into this Sanford Whiteman

SanfordWhiteman

Easier than attaching the data to the outbound link?  I can't see how anything could be easier than that.

Thing is, you're trying to read Marketo-stored data outside of Marketo on a lead-by-lead basis. The only reliable, secure, and sane way to do this is to forward the data from a Marketo-integrated tier (a field on the lead, a Velocity script munching the field on the lead, or an intermediate Marketo LP) to the outside.

(Btw you @'d one of my secondaries. Primary is the one with the galaxy icon. )

Anonymous
Not applicable

(sorry about that didn't mean to tag your secondaries, you have many accounts )

Is this a step by step guide out there, it's a bit overwhelming, something out of my expertise.

SanfordWhiteman

Is this a step by step guide out there, it's a bit overwhelming, something out of my expertise.

Step-by-step? No, this isn't really a known "thing" in that way and I haven't blogged about it.

Really, this isn't even a Marketo thing: it's just reading info from the URL and populating a corresponding element on the page.

Hi <span class="firstNameFromHash"></span>!

<script>

document.querySelector('.firstNameFromHash').textContent = document.location.hash.substring(1);

</script>

If the above <span> and script are on a page, then accessing the page using http:​//example.com/page.html#Bob will put the text "Bob" in the span.

If Base64 encoded, then:

Hi <span class="firstNameFromHash"></span>!

<script>

document.querySelector('.firstNameFromHash').textContent = atob(document.location.hash.substring(1));

</script>

And http:​//example.com/page.html#Qm9i does the same.

Needless to say, a more robust mini-library can pull much more out of the URL, like an object with multiple fields.