Person Score starts at a large number

Melanie_Dulak
Level 1

Person Score starts at a large number

I have created and turned on our lead scoring program.  Our current MQL score is 60 so basic behavior and demographic scoring campaigns are from 1-60 points.  I notice persons starting their score in the hundreds, how can this be?  

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Person Score starts at a large number

Please show the Activity Log for an example person. Once you see all of the activities that led to to their current score, it'll be clear where that bump came from.

Melanie_Dulak
Level 1

Thank you for replying.  I have many examples where once the scoring began I can see the change score starting from a number other than zero in a person activity log.  In this image I filetered by scoring to show the scoring history.  This also happens even for new persons entering Marketo.  I thought i might have to do with a SFDC merge or perhaps an import of a list and a score was applied..?

Melanie_Dulak_0-1590427668948.png

SanfordWhiteman

We need to see the unfiltered  Activity Log, though. And the details of their original entry into the system.

If someone already had a score on the SFDC side before being created in Mkto, then they'd start out with that score, yes.

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Couple things: 

1) there should be another column to the right of Detail that shows which campaign the triggered activity is coming from. This could help you hunt down which program(s) are causing these accidental score changes. 

2) If you DON'T see the campaign column, screenshot below on how to make it show in your view. Once you do this once, it will remember to include it moving forward. 

3) I would also encourage you to check the "Schedule" tab and the Smart Campaign Settings on that tab as it could be related to having someone able to flow through your smart campaign "Every Time" vs. "Only Once" vs. Periodically based on your business rules. 

Good luck,

Chris 

Showing Campaign Column: Right click on the header of the view and navigate to Columns > Campaign Name and check the box. 

2020-05-26_14-51-39.png

Melanie_Dulak
Level 1

Thank you for your time, I'll attach a few screen shots with a view of the full Activity log and Campaign Name column. 

For some background, I have done a Marketing Activities-Campaign Inspector-filter by change score and looked through all smart campaigns that were adjusting scoring.  I looked at the smart campaign schedules and made some small adjustments (job title).

Marketo seems to apply scoring from prior activities or profile before scoring started on February 26.  But for the below example, the only activities since becoming a New Person are email delivered and Send Email, and these activities aren't even scored.  The first change of score is on March 1st for a job title.  You can see the Person Score goes from 260 to 270.  No where else on the Activity Log has scoring applied.  Even if the scoring was retroactive the score of 260 doesn't match the demographic and behavior attributes.

Is there a way to uncover how the Person Score became 260?

Page 1 - top of pagePage 1 - top of pagePage 2Page 2Page 1 - bottom of pagePage 1 - bottom of page

SanfordWhiteman

This person had an Opportunity and some SFDC Activity objects assigned at the point of creation — are you sure they didn't also start out with a score value?

Melanie_Dulak
Level 1

To start with a score value would that mean a rep assigned a score and then the person got synced in Marketo?  Any other way a score could get applied?  Is there a way to set up scoring in SFDC that would then sync over?  Here is another example that starts scoring at 713 and was newly created last week.  I'm thinking for this one that a score is getting assigned on import, but on our import template that is not a column or field we would use.

Melanie_Dulak_0-1590587879830.png

SanfordWhiteman

To start with a score value would that mean a rep assigned a score and then the person got synced in Marketo?  Any other way a score could get applied?  Is there a way to set up scoring in SFDC that would then sync over?  Here is another example that starts scoring at 713 and was newly created last week.  I'm thinking for this one that a score is getting assigned on import, but on our import template that is not a column or field we would use.

If the score field is synced, then it will take the initial value from SFDC.

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Yea, it looks to me like something during the lead creation process in your CRM is populating the value. 

Not sure if it's easier to find and fix that problem, or add something like a trigger campaign on creation that sets the score to 0 and then block updates from the CRM so that Marketo has complete control over the field from the start. I'd try to actually fix the problem, but not sure what that problem really is! I'd ask your CRM Admin.