Re: Password field on Marketo Form

Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Password field on Marketo Form

We are looking into if/how we can allow our prospects to sign up for a trial account through a Marketo form.  I'm looking for some basic information on how to handle passwords on Marketo forms. 
  • How to "hide" the values that are entered into the password field
  • How to set up password validation
    • Password requirements: correct number of characters, use of numbers/special characters
    • Validate the Password and Reenter Password fields values match
  • Prevent syncing of password value to Marketo and/or removing it from Marketo.
Any information or examples anyone can share with me would be a great help.  Thanks in advance!
-Val Armstrong
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Rafael_Santoni1
Level 5

Val,

If your Marketo instance is not leveraging HTTPS then any information that you send via the forms will be passed as clear text from the page into the system. That would be the first thing to consider. Then, the only way (as far as I know) that you can do validation of the data on the client side is via JavaScript (unless Marketo has a native configuration for password fields).

The other thing you could do is use a different environment to capture the credentials and leverage Marketo APIs to pass along the lead's data that you need for lead generation and processing since the user credentials should not be critical for that. Only the relevant business details.

I did something a while back for capturing trials data in Marketo. What I did was work with the developers of the environment that were capturing and activating the product trial on the following solution. I created a Marketo Webhook to capture the data. The product registration system would then hit the Marketo endpoint and pass along the information to Marketo by leveraging this native capability.

There might be more ways to approach what you want to do, but those are the things that I can think of right now.

Thank you,

Rafael

Josh_Hill13

You'll need a javascript/jquery programmer who can use the API of both systems to send the details to both Marketo and your product. The form will need to be secure, which may make it more complicated for Marketo if you haven't already setup SSL/TLS.

I'll see if our developer knows of examples.
Valerie_Armstro

Thank you for your responses, Rafael and Josh!

Unfortunately, we don't have SSL/TLS setup for our instance.  We are starting to take a more serious look at implementing it this would help us meet our project requirements.

Rafael - I'm a little confused by your description about your use of Marketo webhook, would you be able to clarfiy? Did you capture the trial registration data with a Marketo form or an external form? If an external form was used, what triggered the webhook to be called (API call to smart campaign, web page visit, etc)?  We have looked into using Webhooks to sent the trial registration data to the product to generate the trial, but there are concerns about possible delays in relaying the information between systems and getting the prospect directly into the trial on form submit.

Josh_Hill13

Here's what our developer said:
The password field would be "excluded" from the Marketo form (therefore custom fields?). Once the marketo form is submitted, we can listen for the "onSubmit" event and we could validate the password at this point and then have some other code send an additional request which contains the password to the customer's "registration"
 endpoint. This would require that the page hosting the form be accessed through in https.