Re: Pass Referrer Parameters Between Pages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pass Referrer Parameters Between Pages

I first want to start off by saying, I am able to pass referrer utm parameters from link to form to Marketo. I am using this method as a way to track the source of a lead and ultimately a conversion. So for example, Jane (a lead) clicks a link while on Facebook (with utm parameters in it) and it takes her to a Marketo landing page with a form (the form also has hidden referrer utm parameters). She submits the form and I am now able to see that she came from Facebook. All is well.

Now I need to get a little bit fancier, and pass referrer utm parameters between two forms on two landing pages. So for example, Jane clicks on the link from Facebook and is taken to a landing page with a form. She has to fill out this form to receive a promo code (so we can capture her email information even if she doesn't continue). Then, if she wants to redeem the code, she needs to fill out another form with more detailed information (to request a quote).

Is there a way to pass referrer utm parameters between two pages and two forms? I still want to know that Jane originally came from Facebook even if she immediately converts.

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Sure. Please search for this on the community. It's been discussed several times. It requires js.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jeniffer,

You'll need some JS and can do it 2 ways (at least):

• Append the UTM's to the follow-up link
  • or store the UTMs in a cookie which can be read on the second page.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

having no javascript skills i did this...

1. After the first form submission - create a landing page and a clickable button.
  2. The URL for the clickable button will have the landing page for the 2nd page.
  3. Within the URL for the second form you can embed tokens within the URL string, and as long as the second form can read the embedded parameters, the data will be pulled in from the first form.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Byron Fujikawa​! This is what I ended up doing and it worked fine. I am working with a programmer now to do it Gregoire Michel way since it will probably save time.