SOLVED

Re: PURL Form/Token Issue: How to Correctly Connect PURL with Lead's Account & 'Thank You' Landing Page

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

PURL Form/Token Issue: How to Correctly Connect PURL with Lead's Account & 'Thank You' Landing Page

Hello,

We have a DM campaign going out next week - for it, we created PURLs linking to a landing page with a form. A week ago, upon form submisssion, the page would correctly link to a 'Thank You' page that included (via tokens) the lead's first name and a unique promotional link (for an egift card). The unique promo links are set up as tokens and have been assigned to all campaign members. 

Yesterday, after we decided to remove the 'Email Address' field (we have email addresses for almost all of the members of our campaign and worry that including 'Email' as a field might deter survey submission) from the form the connection/sync between the first landing page's form (which we thought was tied directly to the PURLs previously created) and the 'Thank You' landing page no longer works. Both the 'First Name' and the 'Unique Promo Code' tokens on the 'Thank You' page now just go with the "default"/non-personalized values - which for this campaign definitely won't work. What's more, the lead profiles that we created PURLs for are no longer correctly updating survey responses (which interferes with my original workaround to just send out a trigger-based email containing the noted tokens).

Two questions: 

1.What can I do to 100% connect the form on each PURL (i.e. form responses) with the PURL owners' profile? 

2. Is there a way to connect one PURL's form with another 'Thank You' PURL? Meaning: If I setup PURLs for our 'Thank You' landing page, could I setup the form on the initial PURL landing page to, upon form submission, link to a specific PURL 'Thank You' based upon the PURL of the landing page that the form was submitted on (opposed to a static landing page).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: PURL Form/Token Issue: How to Correctly Connect PURL with Lead's Account & 'Thank You' Landing Page

To hide fields you first need to label the field wrappers (using some stock JavaScript that you include when embedding the form).

This demo shows how you then hide the fields.  In the demo, I just outline one field (Email) in red.  To actually hide it of course you'd use display: none.  You can apply any CSS you want using this method, and it is particularly helpful to hide or show fields with more flexibility than allowed by the Forms 2.0 Editor.

The demo also shows adding the value of one of the form fields to the Thank You URL. In the demo I append the Company -- in your case it would be PromoCode.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SanfordWhiteman

Re: [1] I would include the email address, but have it be a hidden field.

Re: [2] You can change the Thank You URL to whatever you want, including a URL based on fields on the form and/or on the URL of the landing page that hosts the form.  I'm not sure what that gets you in this case, however.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for you response, Sanford. Unfortunately, including the Email Address as a Hidden Field doesn't seem to be working here (i.e. form answers aren't properly updated into the lead's profile even with Email Address as "Hidden")... Not sure why?

2 - I understand how to change a 'Thank You' page URL. The big issue I'm having is populating the 'Thank You' page with correct lead-specific tokens (primarily just the unique e-gift promo codes that are lead-specific).

SanfordWhiteman

Try hiding the field using CSS, rather than marking it as hidden within the form setup.

Like I said, you can change the Thank You URL "based on fields on the form."  So include the promo code on the form.  Then append that value to the Thank You URL in the onSuccess() event.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you again for your response - Any chance you can provide me with some basic CSS code (with generic tokens) for these two things that I might be able to leverage?

Again, thank you for trying to help!
SanfordWhiteman

To hide fields you first need to label the field wrappers (using some stock JavaScript that you include when embedding the form).

This demo shows how you then hide the fields.  In the demo, I just outline one field (Email) in red.  To actually hide it of course you'd use display: none.  You can apply any CSS you want using this method, and it is particularly helpful to hide or show fields with more flexibility than allowed by the Forms 2.0 Editor.

The demo also shows adding the value of one of the form fields to the Thank You URL. In the demo I append the Company -- in your case it would be PromoCode.

SanfordWhiteman

I should add: without a front-end developer/designer available you really can't push the limits of Marketo forms. Almost anything you can dream up is in some way possible with Forms 2.0 API -- if you check some of my past posts you can see the crazy things it can be made to do -- but I'm comfortable with these things because it's what I do (I'm a coder for sales/marketing folks, not a marketing person by trade).

I'd be uneasy telling you to just roll out JS or even CSS to production if you don't have anyone around who (at least by title) specializes in that stuff.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help! I think I've got it figured out now.
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Marcie - also keep in mind, PURLs are not trackable unless the lead is already cookied in Marketo.  See this thread for more info: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PnYOAA0.  Are all of the leads in your campaign already cookied?  And of course, hoping that none of them have deleted their cookie.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for pointing me to that thread, Dan! Thankfully none of our leads for this campaign are anonymous... with that said, I'm not sure how to work around leads that might have deleted their cookie... perhaps I'll have to go another route so I can ensure that the promo codes are delivered correctly. Thank you!