SOLVED

Re: Overwriting Durable Unsubscribe with an 'Opt-In' form not working

Go to solution
Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Overwriting Durable Unsubscribe with an 'Opt-In' form not working

Hi all, 

We have a website in NZ, where the opt-in laws are strict. We have radio buttons for 'Yes, I want to stay informed' and No, 'Please do not email me.' e.g.  https://www.worldanimalprotection.org.nz/end-global-wildlife-trade-forever 

One particular lead filled the form, checked 'Yes, I want to stay informed,' but when sent to MKTO via API, durable unsubcribe kicked in and automatically unsubbed them. 

I am being told by MKTO support, and some threads in communit here, that it is possible to change the unsub data value and overwrite the durable unsubscribe. I am also reading that it cannot be overwritten. So, which is it? If it were possible to link an opt-in field in a form to the unsub data point in MKTO, with the value of N (not unsubscribed), why won't it overwrite. 

I have also tried running programs to change durable unsub, but they did not succeed. They temporarily switched unsub to False, then were autoamtically turned back.

Caveat; our admin settings are controlled by head office, and I do not have personal access to them. 

Anyone know the latest with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

• You're not using a Marketo form (why?) 
    • - it's the structure/process I was handed when I started at the org. 

OK, but understand that makes it impossible to know what data is actually submitted to Marketo (among other problems). The person who developed the back-end code is the only one who knows.

@Lucas_Metherall wrote:

Hi Sanford, 

• If you don't include the system Unsubscribed field when creating a lead whose Email Address value is in the DU list 
    • Is this the part you reference about using MKTO forms on the website? The system unsub field - MUST that be via MKTO form, or can it be mapped from a third-party form to the system unsub field with a Y/N value?

Not String Y/N but Boolean true/false, yes.

You can always change the system Unsubscribed field. Although a non-Marketo entry point means you won't be able to attribute unsubscribe activities to specific emails.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

One particular lead filled the form, checked 'Yes, I want to stay informed,' but when sent to MKTO via API, durable unsubcribe kicked in and automatically unsubbed them. 

I am being told by MKTO support, and some threads in communit here, that it is possible to change the unsub data value and overwrite the durable unsubscribe. I am also reading that it cannot be overwritten. So, which is it? If it were possible to link an opt-in field in a form to the unsub data point in MKTO, with the value of N (not unsubscribed), why won't it overwrite. 

I have also tried running programs to change durable unsub, but they did not succeed. They temporarily switched unsub to False, then were autoamtically turned back.

Caveat; our admin settings are controlled by head office, and I do not have personal access to them. 

Because you're not using a Marketo form (why?) It's impossible to know what your back end is sending to Marketo. You have 2 radio inputs with the name choose_to_stay_up_to_date_with_our_campaigns (obviously not a Marketo field name) and the values Y and N.

If you don't include the system Unsubscribed field when creating a lead whose Email Address value is in the DU list — i.e. at the point they were deleted in the past, Unsubscribed was true — then that last value of true is restored.

That's pretty much the definition of Durable Unsubscribe.

Someone's Unsubscribed value can be changed, but not while they're only in the under-the-hood DU list. You can readily flip the Unsubscribed field when they're in the active part of the database.

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Hi Sanford, 

• If you don't include the system Unsubscribed field when creating a lead whose Email Address value is in the DU list 
    • Is this the part you reference about using MKTO forms on the website? The system unsub field - MUST that be via MKTO form, or can it be mapped from a third-party form to the system unsub field with a Y/N value?
  • Someone's Unsubscribed value can be changed, but not while they're only in the under-the-hood DU list. You can readily flip the Unsubscribed field when they're in the active part of the database.
    • This is very good to know, thank you.
SanfordWhiteman

OK, but understand that makes it impossible to know what data is actually submitted to Marketo (among other problems). The person who developed the back-end code is the only one who knows.

@Lucas_Metherall wrote:

Hi Sanford, 

Not String Y/N but Boolean true/false, yes.

You can always change the system Unsubscribed field. Although a non-Marketo entry point means you won't be able to attribute unsubscribe activities to specific emails.