Outlook/Hotmail soft bounce issue

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Outlook/Hotmail soft bounce issue

Hi all, 

We have an engagement stream, PE 1, PE2, PE3, PE4. 

PE 1 was sent with a 99.7% delivery rate. The people are then funneled to PE 2, and it only had a 73% delivery rate. PE 3 then went back up to 99.6% delivery. I ran a smart list to see who had the soft bounces, and it is mostly Hotmail accounts, with one or two Outlook.com and live.com thrown in. 

Some sample logs:

554 5.4.7 [internal] (last transfail: 451 4.7.650 The mail server [185.28.196.157] has been temporarily rate limited due to IP reputation. For e-mail delivery information, see https://postmaster.live.com (S843) [BN7NAM10FT036.eop-nam10.prod.protection.outlook.com])

554 5.4.7 [internal] exceeded max time without delivery

Can anyone say why this might have happened? These people had emails delivered and opened before and after this occurrance. 

thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Outlook/Hotmail soft bounce issue

Are you on a shared IP?

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

No, a dedicated. We use it for Aus/New Zealand, but it is separate from all other countries in the org. 

SanfordWhiteman

Do you know that these are the only emails sent to Outlook.com infrastructure in that time period?

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

To be clear of your question - you are asking if these bounces represent all email sends to outlook infrastructure, to identify if Outlook was accepting some emails but bouncing these ones? To query that I should ask MKTO for sent NOT bounced (OR dellivered) email (any) in [time period] address contains [Outlook/hotmail/msn/passport/live]?

SanfordWhiteman

Yes.

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

I had a look and yes, there were about 4,000 people with Outlook/Hotmail that receieved emails in the same time period, within a day of the email that generated the soft bounces.