Re: Original Referrer field used to populate custom field?

Alexander_Lamb1
Level 2

Original Referrer field used to populate custom field?

Hi Marketo Nation?

I wanted to know if it was possible to take the field Original Referrer and populate or update a custom field with its data?

Example:

example.com/eat-a-richard/classic-richard-cheese?campaign=001&keyword=0001

Where I want to populate a field with the keyword: 0001

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Alexander,

You can do this on form submit, using a hidden field in Marketo form to capture the URM parameter named "keyword".

But otherwise, if you want to capture that information on a web page visit that does not include a form or if the fom is not submitted, you will need some javascript to capture the data in a cookie and retrieve the cookie value in a form hidden field on the first form submit.

The last possibility would be to use a webhook, pass the the original referrer value to the webhook and have the webhook update your custom field.

-Greg

Alexander_Lamb1
Level 2

I want to do this from Marketo database. Not from on-page elements. The Original Referrer captured the UTM parameters correctly and sits in Marketo.

I cannot create a custom field in Marketo with data from the string of Orginal Referrer?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I cannot create a custom field in Marketo with data from the string of Orginal Referrer?

Only by passing the field to a webhook that does the parsing (the last option Greg mentioned).

Alexander_Lamb1
Level 2

Thanks,

So just to be certain about the webhook, its GET function and the template is the custom field, where:

I have no idea how to tell Marketo to update the custom field with the keyword "0001" from original post.

Keywords from Webhook.PNG

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Alexander,

You will need a web service to do the parsing. Look into the launchpoint for such solutions. Some of them have a free version and will do a great job for what you need. Another way is to contact Sanford Whiteman​ directly. He will not self promote, but I can do it, I have no personal interest into it

-Greg

Alexander_Lamb1
Level 2

It would be easier to populate the field with a cookie from website, as it impossible to do from database.

Thanks for the help.

It is unfortunate that the field Original Referrer cannot be referenced with a contains, regular expression, etc. function on Marketo platform where a custom field is populated with data already sitting on platform...

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

It is unfortunate that Marketo does not have any functionality to manipulate data, whatsoever

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

...the field Original Referrer cannot be referenced with a contains, regular expression, etc. function on Marketo platform...

You can use [contains], you just can't extract parts of the data into other fields.  But to be fair, every Marketo field is this way. It's not specific to this field!