Re: Organic Lead Tracking

Anonymous
Not applicable

Organic Lead Tracking

Hi all!

We are using hidden fields currently to capture UTM parameters for any paid ads. When it comes to attribution, what's the best practice for Organic specifically?

I know that Marketo's Munchkin code does capture search engines (sometimes) in the 'Original Search Engine' field, but this is only first-touch. What's the best way to track inbound form leads and know they came from Organic and a specific search engine?

I really appreciate any help here!

Thanks,

Melissa

6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can use the Munchkin API and javascript to track the lead as they hit your site and go through things. You can also use a UTM parameter on the site to automatically handle part of this, but you'll still need to pass along the param to  the Form.

Check the threads as there are similar discussions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

did you ever find an answer to this one?

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are just starting to use the Google AdWords parameter GCLID to track paid search through the cookie. This means that even if they don't convert right away, we are able to see which AdWords campaign they came from when they do fill out a form. I'm in the infancy of this tracking but am very hopeful.

Anyone else have tips?

Fabian_Liebig1
Level 1

Hi Emily.

How has this been performing for you?

I see that for some reason the UTM is not always passed on and not displayed consistently for people that fill out the form.

What have your experiences been so far?

Best and thanks in advance for any help!

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Melissa Mathews

I haven't yet found a totally robust way to track organic channels in Marketo. This is usually done by parsing the "Original Referrer" system field with smart campaigns, but I have had issues with this field being populated consistently. Also this will not work after the first touch.

In theory you could use some custom javascript to track session referrer for every touch and smart campaign logic to parse it, but this is a fair amount of heavy lifting and there is room for error due to variability of the referrer data. So you have to spend some time manually checking and correcting things that are not bucketed the right way. 

If you have the budget, I would consider Bizible, which is capable of tracking all channels out of box, including organic. It's kind of like Google Analytics in your Salesforce. I am a big fan.

Bizible | B2B Marketing Attribution & Analytics Software

Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Melissa Mathews

We have designed a custom solution for this issue using JS code and custom cookies on the website. This is not 100% accurate since referrer data changes at times but gives us a good coverage when we use the data to build out attribution models. Happy to show you a demo of what we do. Drop a line at alok@grazitti.com