SOLVED

Opportunity Influencer

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opportunity Influencer

I've been in marketo for a few months now and I have started to really dig into the reporting side. I understand that marketo has a Opportunity Influencer Analyzer. Here's what I want to do. I want to see the marketo touchpoints. Like, if you where to take the activity log and turn it into a timeline, is that that poissible? For some reason in the Influencer Report I'm not seeing any emails. 

Whats the best way to do an attribution report? Am I missing something?

I want to see things like when the leads filled out forms, Landing pages, opened emails, conversion / Stage changes etc...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opportunity Influencer

Hi Stephen:

The Opportunity Analyzer requres a few things to provide accurate information:

1. By default, it shows activities of Contacts that have a Contact Role on the Opportunity. If your sales team does not use Contact Roles, you will have to manually select the relevant Contacts that are associated with the Account.

2. The analyzer will show the history of Interesting Moments and Program Successes of the selected Contacts only.

3. To record Interesting Moments, you have to go into the Marketing Activities section of your Marketo instance, and find the Interesting Moments folder. You should see a set of Campaigns there, which you can activate. Alternatively, you can import a new Interesting Moments Program from the Marketo Program LIbrary. Go through all the campaigns, tweak and activate them as needed. Feel free to create more, but don't get too carried away - you don't want to overwhelm your sales team and yourself with too much information.

These Interesting Moments are very important for the Sales Insight plug-in in Salesforce. They help sales understand the recent intersts and behaviors of the leads and contacts they are following-up on. If they use Contact Roles on the Opportunity, and you have Sales Insight installed on the Opportunity Layout, sales can also see as summary of recent behaviors of everyone with a Contact Role.

4. Every Program is using a Channel. The Channels are set-up in the Marketo Admin, under "Tags". Every Channel has Statuses that you can use to track the depth of interactions a person has with the Program.

At least one of these statuses is flagged as a "Success" status. "Success" means that the person has interacted in a way that influenced his purchase decision. This means: they have received some information that moved them closer to trusting your company to do business with. This is not always a specific type of action (e.g. Form Fill-out), but the last action the person took to get the information. Examples: Clicked over to a blog article, downloaded a pdf, or attended an event. Filling out an event registration is NOT a success - attendance is. Filling out a content download form is NOT a success - downloading the document is.

In order to set these statuses, you need to use campaigns with flow steps that change the program status.

5. Make sure all your marketing programs (not the operational ones - only the ones that interact with your audience) have Period Cost assigned. At the Program Level, go to the "Setup" tab and add at least one Period Cost tag. I recommend adding at least $1 - even if you have no external cost for the Program. By default, Marketo Analytics will not include the Program in reporting, if it doesn't have period cost. If you can'd add period cost, you can change the Analytics behavior in the Program, or you can change it in the Channel for all Programs using the Channel. It takes 24 hours for your analytics data to update, though.

I hope you find this helpful.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Stephen:

The Opportunity Analyzer requres a few things to provide accurate information:

1. By default, it shows activities of Contacts that have a Contact Role on the Opportunity. If your sales team does not use Contact Roles, you will have to manually select the relevant Contacts that are associated with the Account.

2. The analyzer will show the history of Interesting Moments and Program Successes of the selected Contacts only.

3. To record Interesting Moments, you have to go into the Marketing Activities section of your Marketo instance, and find the Interesting Moments folder. You should see a set of Campaigns there, which you can activate. Alternatively, you can import a new Interesting Moments Program from the Marketo Program LIbrary. Go through all the campaigns, tweak and activate them as needed. Feel free to create more, but don't get too carried away - you don't want to overwhelm your sales team and yourself with too much information.

These Interesting Moments are very important for the Sales Insight plug-in in Salesforce. They help sales understand the recent intersts and behaviors of the leads and contacts they are following-up on. If they use Contact Roles on the Opportunity, and you have Sales Insight installed on the Opportunity Layout, sales can also see as summary of recent behaviors of everyone with a Contact Role.

4. Every Program is using a Channel. The Channels are set-up in the Marketo Admin, under "Tags". Every Channel has Statuses that you can use to track the depth of interactions a person has with the Program.

At least one of these statuses is flagged as a "Success" status. "Success" means that the person has interacted in a way that influenced his purchase decision. This means: they have received some information that moved them closer to trusting your company to do business with. This is not always a specific type of action (e.g. Form Fill-out), but the last action the person took to get the information. Examples: Clicked over to a blog article, downloaded a pdf, or attended an event. Filling out an event registration is NOT a success - attendance is. Filling out a content download form is NOT a success - downloading the document is.

In order to set these statuses, you need to use campaigns with flow steps that change the program status.

5. Make sure all your marketing programs (not the operational ones - only the ones that interact with your audience) have Period Cost assigned. At the Program Level, go to the "Setup" tab and add at least one Period Cost tag. I recommend adding at least $1 - even if you have no external cost for the Program. By default, Marketo Analytics will not include the Program in reporting, if it doesn't have period cost. If you can'd add period cost, you can change the Analytics behavior in the Program, or you can change it in the Channel for all Programs using the Channel. It takes 24 hours for your analytics data to update, though.

I hope you find this helpful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

SchoolDude.com, Inc. Marketo awesome answer, but I have a few questions. I'm new to Marketo and my last MA system had a very manual set up for FT Attribution and no MT Attribution was possible. I'm trying to figure out the set up in Marketo so that I can track MT Attribution.

In docs I see definitions for FT v. MT as well as some exercises to figure out the difference, but is there a specific report that can show me this for my system once I go live and accrue more data? I don't have to do this in Excel or through a 3rd party program, do I? I know I can see very granular steps in Oppt Analyzer, but what if I want ROI of a program in general / see the value of programs over time?

I have lead source and retroactive acquisition programs set up already and I'm working on interesting moments, but what else would I need to do and what report do I need to run to see MT attribution?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Christina, do you have Revenue Cycle Explorer (RCE)?  The Opportunity Analysis report will allow you to run MT attribution reports.

Understanding the Program Opportunity Analysis Area - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dan, no, I don't have RCE. I have RCA. We are considering getting RCE in a year or two once we have historical data (I'm implementing now) and can justify buying it. I'd like to make sure my instance is set up correctly now so that I'm recording all of the info I need so that when I do get RCE I'll be able to see MT attribution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was really helpful! Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was a very helpful synopsis! However, I am having some difficulties getting custom Interesting Moments to sync or appear in the opportunity influence analyzer. Is there an extra step required for the analyzer to recognize manually created interesting moments?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Have a look at my reply to this Idea: .  The screenshot I included is that from Sitecore.  It's a richer, fuller view than what is currently available in Marketo.  What I really like about this is the activity graph at the top - that shows the trend of different types of activity/engagement.  Not only would I like to see this at the LEAD level, but also at the ACCOUNT/COMPANY level.