SOLVED

Re: One time use email lists - How to send?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

One time use email lists - How to send?

Hello,

We often receive small contact lists from our partners who don't have an ESP and ask us to send an email promoting our event/product that they are involved in to their client lists. What are the best practices for doing a one time send with this list without keeping those contacts in our marketo instance for good? Also, what if we already have some of those contacts in our database how do we only import the new ones temporarily and then discard them after the one time send?

Thanks,

Evan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_Egan
Level 7

This could get a bit messy, but I think the best way to do it is to import the people to a static list. You could always create a dummy acquisition program ("DEL-Client Emails" for example) that you use when importing the contacts to the static list. This will make it easy to delete them after you're done with the email send.

Once you set up the email in the program (I suggest having a unique identifier for those programs so that you don't wrap them up within your reporting), send the email either via the email program, or via a smart campaign. If they aren't looking for reporting and you want to keep everything organized in one program, you can set up the emails and the smart campaigns within DEL-Client Emails so that you don't have a bunch of extra programs floating around.

Once the email is sent and you don't need the contacts anymore, you can run a smart campaign that deletes everybody with the acquisition program "DEL-Client Emails". If the people are supposed to remain in your system because they were already existing, they won't have "DEL-Client Emails" as their acquisition program so they won't be deleted.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Rachel_Egan
Level 7

This could get a bit messy, but I think the best way to do it is to import the people to a static list. You could always create a dummy acquisition program ("DEL-Client Emails" for example) that you use when importing the contacts to the static list. This will make it easy to delete them after you're done with the email send.

Once you set up the email in the program (I suggest having a unique identifier for those programs so that you don't wrap them up within your reporting), send the email either via the email program, or via a smart campaign. If they aren't looking for reporting and you want to keep everything organized in one program, you can set up the emails and the smart campaigns within DEL-Client Emails so that you don't have a bunch of extra programs floating around.

Once the email is sent and you don't need the contacts anymore, you can run a smart campaign that deletes everybody with the acquisition program "DEL-Client Emails". If the people are supposed to remain in your system because they were already existing, they won't have "DEL-Client Emails" as their acquisition program so they won't be deleted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Rachel. This seems like a good way to approach the problem. Could you help me with the setup of the smart list to delete the leads labeled "DEL-Client Emails" in that acquisition program? Would the following be correct?

SMART LIST:

Drag in filter "Acquisition program: is "DEL-Client Emails"

FLOW:

Delete Lead

This seems right as the amount of qualified leads match the new ones imported. Thanks again for your help.

Rachel_Egan
Level 7

Yup, that's exactly what I would do. Question, though, do you have a 1:1 sync with SFDC or other CRM? If so, you will have to add an additional option in there that tells it to delete the lead from the CRM as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, we use salesforce. In the delete lead flow it has a true/false option to remove it from SFDC.

Rachel_Egan
Level 7

Yup! Just make sure you do that as well