One lead with multiple email addresses

Anonymous
Not applicable

One lead with multiple email addresses

I'm curious if anybody else has successfully implemented this by adding an additional email address field for example? But would this create an additional record for one lead record? I'm looking for any best practices and/or ways people are handling a second email address without a second lead record.

We are running into a situation in which a lead will provide their personal email address initially from a form and then provide their professional/work email address down the line when they submit on another form for example.

6 REPLIES 6
Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: One lead with multiple email addresses

Derrick Sanchez

You can create multiple email fields on a single lead record, either directly in Marketo or in your CRM. No problem there.

However, to the best of my knowledge Marketo will only send email to the primary "Email Address" field.

If you get a personal email you could always copy it to a secondary email field for safekeeping and then over-write the main field with a professional email address when you get it down the line.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Justin,

When you say primary email address, are you saying that MKTO will only send an email to the default email address field and not a custom secondary email address field?

Also, if I was a lead in the database with the email address: derrick@acme123.com and I put in derrick1@acme123.com in the custom/secondary field would a second lead record for me be created?

In another scenario, if both derrick@acme123.com and derrick1@acme123.com both existed as leads already, would merging the records be the best practice because if this was not the case then both email addresses would get communications.

Thanks,

Derrick

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hey Derrick Sanchez​,

Yes Marketo will only send an email to the default address field and not a custom secondary email address field -- at least I've never heard of or seen a way to do otherwise.

Adding an additional email address field to the lead and populating it with an email address will not create a new lead record, no worries there. It's just another piece of data stored on the lead.

If you entered that email into a form on the primary email address field though, Marketo WOULD create a new lead because it uses the primary email address field as the de-duplication key.

If you have two lead records that refer to the same person, I would generally say it is best to merge them and store the additional email in another field (for example, if a sales person might want to refer to it for some types of communications).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Justin,

This is great info.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Derrick

Liliana_Cheng1
Level 4

Hi Justin Norris and Derrick Sanchez, I found your thread while searching how to send an email to a custom email field (not the primary/standard email address field).

What if I set up a triggered campaign to send alert (with the email being the alert)? In the Other Emails field for the alert, it could have a token to pull that custom email field like {{lead.secondary email address}}. Would that work? Would there be any (reporting, infrastructure, etc) disadvantages to this set up?

Thanks,
Liliana

Amanda_Thomas6
Level 9

This is a really great post. Good to know what to do here. Thank You!