Re: On first SFDC contact sync, Campaign is not triggered

Mathias_Hornstr
Level 2

On first SFDC contact sync, Campaign is not triggered

Hi, 

I have a problem with missing trigger activations when a contact is synced first time from Salesforce to Marketo.

Scenario:

In Salesforce, a contact is added to a SFDC campaign while the contact is created. 
In Marketo, i have a Trigger Campaign using the "Added to SFDC Campaign", that is triggering a Task to Salesforce every time a contact is added to the SFDC campaign in Salesforce.

This trigger works perfect if the contact is know in Marketo, and added to the SFDC campaign from Salesforce. However it does not trigger the Marketo campaign if the contact is added to the SFDC campaign in the first sync of that contact to Marketo.

I hope it makes sense,

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
Michael_Florin
Level 10

I'd try to expand your Smart Campaign with an additional trigger "Person is created" plus the filter "Is member of SFDC campaign".

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Only thing I'd change here is have a second triggered Smart Campaign that handles Person is Created with the filter Is Member of SFDC Campaign, instead of adding the filter to the existing SC.

That remote campaign member lookup is resource-intensive and it's redundant to do it when the trigger is on Added to SFDC Campaign. (There may be a short-circuiting optimization in there but I wouldn't count on it.)

Mathias_Hornstr
Level 2

Thank you for the proposal, however it did not trigger the campaign when new person is created. 

Could there be any settings in the connector between Marketo and Salesforce that states the first object sync should not be triggering any Marketo campaigns?

I can reference an activity log of one case where a person is added to a campaign on first sync, and one where it's added on a later sync.

First Sync (No campaign triggered):

Not triggering campaign.png

Later sync (Campaign triggered, creating a task)

triggering campaign.png

Michael_Florin
Level 10

Are you saying the "Person is created" doesn't trigger anything or Person is created in conjunction with "is member of campaign"?

And I see you have a Change Program Status there in a Marketo program. Is your Salesforce campaign synced with that program? How about triggering your task from that program status change?

Mathias_Hornstr
Level 2

Thanks mIchael for your fast replies, it's much appreciated. 

It is when Person is created in conjunction with "is member of campaign". The "person is created" trigger is tested and working separately. 

I will test your suggestion on triggering from the program status change and get back on the result.

best, 

Mathias_Hornstr
Level 2

I tried using only the trigger on "Program status is changed", however nothing happens on the first sync. Only on subsequent activities is it triggered. 

I am starting to think that there might be some settings that blocks all actions in the first sync?

Nanda_Vasanthak
Level 1

Hi, has this issue been resolved. I accidentally noticed then when troubleshooting scoring triggers and none of them have triggered for those created from Salesforce.com too.

Might be a bug in the system?

Thanks

Nanda