SOLVED

Re: Nurture Streams - Have leads randomly placed in a stream

Go to solution
Danielle_Wong
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Nurture Streams - Have leads randomly placed in a stream

If I have multiple streams, is there a way to place leads that qualify randomly into a stream?

I would like to test the order of the content, which will be different for each stream. So i would like to sort of get a random sample of the leads that go into the streams, and eventually get data on which stream performs best and which content does best when sent after a certain email, etc.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Danielle,

Marketo provides an efficient mechanism to create random lists.

prepare a batch smart campaign with a add to engagement program flow step, create choices (if you have 2 streams, create 1 choice, if 3 stream, create 2 choices, 4 streams, create 3 choices ...) Then use the "random sample" filter. Example for 3 streams:

pastedImage_0.png

-Greg

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Danielle,

Marketo provides an efficient mechanism to create random lists.

prepare a batch smart campaign with a add to engagement program flow step, create choices (if you have 2 streams, create 1 choice, if 3 stream, create 2 choices, 4 streams, create 3 choices ...) Then use the "random sample" filter. Example for 3 streams:

pastedImage_0.png

-Greg

Danielle_Wong

Thanks so much for the quick response. I never really understood the choices option in the add constraints.  When does it know to go to choice 2?  I'm just extremely confused about it. And stay away from it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the screenshot Greg provided, when a lead comes to the point when this flow action runs, Marketo will 'randomly' do the choice 1 or choice 2 or default. But it maintains the 'randomness' to maintain that 33% leads will get choice 1, 33 % will get choice 2 and rest 34% will get the default action.

Thus we know the overall ratios but it is random at a lead level.

Rajesh

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's pretty robust and useful. I think you should give it a try.

Rajesh

Danielle_Wong

Thanks for the helpful explanation, Rajesh. It makes more sense now.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Globally, choices are tested in the order they display. Marketo will test the 1st choice. If it is successful, it will apply the action of the first choice. If not, Marketo will move to the second choice and test it. If the choice 2 is successful, Marketo will apply the action #2, etc...

If all choices have been exhausted unsuccessfully, the default action will be applied.

In the case of the ramdom sample filter, the behavior is slightly different. Marketo will create subsets of leads that correspond to the percentage written at each choices and leave the rest for the default. So here, 33% of the leads will go in in the first subset, 33% in the second and 34% in the default

-Greg

Danielle_Wong

Thanks Greg! And the random sample filter will behave the same with an engagement program, right? Because the leads will be added to the engagement program whenever they fill out a certain form. So the randomization occurs throughout the whole engagement program?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Danielle,

Random distribution works only in batch smart campaign (when you have a sufficient number of leads to be able to create random samples).

But the example I gave you will enable you to place a set of leads randomly  in multiple engagement program streams.

-Greg

Shailendra_Dube
Level 2

Hello Experts,

What condition we have to add in Smart List, i am also working on the same program (randomly assigned leads to engagement program)

Shailendra