Re: ['Not was delivered email' IS] versus ['Was delivered email' IS NOT]

Go to solution
Ludvig_Brandt
Level 2

['Not was delivered email' IS] versus ['Was delivered email' IS NOT]

What is the difference between the two?
I'm making a simple (engagement) program with a smart list flow like this:

pastedImage_1.png

I would expect that if the recipient has not previously received "Test Email C", the flow would send Test Email C, and if the recipient HAS received Test Email C before, the flow would instead send "Test Email C-x".
However when testing this ('run once' batch campaign), the flow is sending email C-x instead! And when running the batch campaign again, it sends C!

Then I make a completely separate (engagement) program with a smart list flow like this:

pastedImage_2.png

In this program the flow sends email Cx2 first, and then Cx3 when I run the batch again. This is the desired behavior but I don't get the logic differences behind the two setups.

I'm lacking a general understanding of the "not" logic I guess!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jim_Thao7
Level 9

Was Delivered Email - IS NOT

- This means that you are querying for ANY person that was delivered ANY email, but IS NOT C

- It is expected that a person who was delivered ANY email in the past (but not C) would received C-x

Not Was Delivered Email - IS

- This means that you are querying for ANY person who was not delivered C-x2

- It is expected that this person who was NOT Delivered C-x2 would receive C-x2

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jim_Thao7
Level 9

Was Delivered Email - IS NOT

- This means that you are querying for ANY person that was delivered ANY email, but IS NOT C

- It is expected that a person who was delivered ANY email in the past (but not C) would received C-x

Not Was Delivered Email - IS

- This means that you are querying for ANY person who was not delivered C-x2

- It is expected that this person who was NOT Delivered C-x2 would receive C-x2

Ludvig_Brandt
Level 2

Thanks Jim, you're a star

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Always add an "email was went" filter to your smart list in conjunction with these 2 smart lists. Otherwise, you will select all the people that were not even sent the email!

-Greg

Ludvig_Brandt
Level 2

Thanks Greg,

in this case I actually want to send emails to those who weren't sent this email before. The smart list is already limiting the recipient to the right target audience so that's fine. So I changed and now use:

pastedImage_1.png

But I wonder, in case I would have wanted to check "delivered" and hence also added a "was sent" in the smart list as you mentioned, that "was sent" check would have had to be added to the smart list and not as a flow step (right?), and that would mean that I already in the smart list would filter out everyone that has not been sent the email. In this case everyone that I would want to send the email to in the first place, would incorrectly be filtered out!

What's a smart way around this?