Re: New email editor is garbage. Please post your feedback. :)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seconding this. Please create a new P tag instead of a break.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I believe the switch to double <br /> tags to represent a new paragraph was to be more compatible with modern email clients - specifically newer versions of Outlook.  In the prior editor, SHIFT-ENTER was used to enter a single, soft return (<b />); Hitting ENTER created a new paragraph (<p>).  SInce the focus is on using <br /> tags for line/paragraph breaks, the keyboard functionality is now reversed: SHIFT-ENTER now produces a new paragraph using legacy <p> tags; Hitting ENTER creates a single/soft return using <b />.  A new paragraph using <br /> tags will now require ENTER-ENTER.

Where this becomes problemsome is for those of us that have designed custom email templates with stylized <p> tags.  This is fixed for the most part - as long as we include a single/initial <p> for the entire content area.  And using <br /><br /> within that block renders just as it did before.  So if I'm not mistaken, this part of the enhanced email editor was focused on stronger compatability across email clients.

Edward_Masson
Level 10

The new Marketo email editor is a great start to building their own Email Editor that many others rely on what is commonly know as TinyMCE which is old, a third party application and has not changed over the years.

Does Marketo Email Editor need work? Yes, it does, no getting round that.  But in Marketo defense, they try new things, sometimes it works some times it doesn’t. But this is want we want from a company showing innovation.

The best part, Marketo listens to the community on ideas for change and improvements.

Colby, I suggest creating a new idea with your desired changes/improvements so we can get the rest of the community to vote for these changes/improvements.

Democracy does work here in the Community.

Colby_Dix
Level 5

Thanks Ed,

While I was mostly posting out of initial frustration, I do know that they all want to be putting out a good product that works for a wide range of us. We all have crazy needs that they can't possibly meet perfectly. Thanks for chiming in!

ooooh shiny.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The bullets are the biggest issue to me. It is overly/incorrectly interpreting MS Word formatting and it is pulling the text into the bullet point. This isn't my only issue, but I could use this and be pretty happy with it if that issue were fixed.

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hey Colby Dix,

I agree with you that the new editor is imperfect. I also totally understand the frustration.

I think you will get more mileage if you collaborate with Product Management to help improve the issues.

As evidenced by this thread still being here and Cheryl Chavez​ posting in it, I think PM is listening and willing to communicate, and there is no censorship going on.

I have met the PM team and interacted with some doing beta testing etc. They are good folks who care about users and want to ship a great product.

Justin Cooperman​ is the PM responsible for emails and landing pages. I'm sure he is watching this thread and more sure he would read an email from you listing all the issues and your suggestions for improvements. You might even see a few quick fixes in an upcoming release (who knows). So I'd suggest reaching out to him.

Then more importantly, we can start feeding the team ideas to make the email editor really awesome and way better than it has ever been.

As Ed Masson​ noted, the voice of the people does have an influence here.

Colby_Dix
Level 5

Thanks Justin, very well presented email with a lot of useful info/people. I appreciate it!

ooooh shiny.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's been a lot of mention in here about reverting to the old editor. How do you do that?

My team is finding the new editor to be clunky and confusing to use with icons that don't make a lot of sense. Additionally, we miss being able to see HTML and text side-by-side. It's so easy to send out an email now that has nothing in the text version -- because it's easy to miss the Text tab on the editor.

Colby_Dix
Level 5

Go to the Admin section.
Click on the 'email' selection in the left menu.
under the 'email' tab in the main content window, click on 'edit email settings'
select 'legacy' and save, apply, run away, refresh and your instance will use the old editor.

ooooh shiny.
Josh_Perry1
Level 7

Sorry Colby, when I had hit post I did not see your comment. I was probably writing it the same time you were