Re: New email editor is garbage. Please post your feedback. :)

Colby_Dix
Level 5

New email editor is garbage. Please post your feedback. :)

So, in what can only be considered classic Marketo form at this point they have "updated" the email editor with such a broken pile of garbage that a considerable amount of additional time is necessary to fix and author emails now. The WYSIWIG editor is anything but and forces all sorts of extranneous and unwanted HTML at every turn. This is HUGELY disappointing that they would see fit to put out a feature that is clearly nowhere near production ready. We spend a lot of money on this service and expect better.

Here's a few issues that are bugging me, please feel free and add yours to the comments below, or just tell me that I'm nuts and that it's a wonderful editor...

Accessing HTML is a secondary menu

Bulletted lists create a formatting nightmare that can only be fixed by manually entering the HTML code

A white background is forced on colored text that can only be manually removed in HTML as well.

Can no longer edit the style of links without manually coding in HTML, or by clunkily using the editore which adds span tags and extranneous code

Advanced Image & Table style/properties are gone, have to manually code in HTML

Side-by-side html vs. text editor was intuitive and useful. It's gone.

VERY frustrating. A few searches deep and I see that in the Admin section I can at least revert to the old editor, but even that wasn't made clear by MKTO. The only good support is here in the forums. (I admit I'm in a cranky mood towards MKTO today)

ooooh shiny.
39 REPLIES 39
Kim_Allen
Level 10

I like the new editor.

For me it's taking some time to get used to navigating the icons (the tokens etc), but overall I think it's an improvement.

But you do have the ability to toggle back to the old one in the admin section (I believe it does it for your entire instance though, so other users as well). It looks like you were able to find that option though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The lack of advanced image properties is killing me.

But more annoying is the extra click to get to the HTML button. 

Reverting back...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I fully agree with you, Colby, and I sent a similar email to Cheryl Chavez and my Marketo Account Rep.

No response from either yet.

1 more thing that's really annoying in the new email editor is that you can use Shift + Return for a soft return, you now have to click twice to get to the HTML editor view and then physically type in a <br> for a soft return.

So glad I was able to search the forums here and learn that I can revert back to the old email editor through the Admin section.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ajay,

I did not receive your email, so please send it again.    My address is cheryl@marketo.com.  As a product team we are monitoring this post and taking the feedback seriously.  I will have the Product Manager responsible post a response on our plans to improve and bring back some of the features being asked for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use CTRL+Return for the soft return now.

Colby_Dix
Level 5

Hey Ajay,

Yeah. Just to agree further. My support ticket did tell me where to revert to the old, but offered no mention whatesoever regarding my questions about the new editor. No response from Cheryl or account rep on my end either, but I did get a quick response from a forum mod asking me if I would change the title of this post.

So it's been made clear that they don't want us to complain, but also that they aren't willing to help or communicate regarding improvements. In all liklihood, they'll just delete any post that mentions how bad the editor is (including this one) which amounts to some lame form of censorship and devalues the forum in terms of openness and productivity. I don't want to sound consistently negative, I'm just terribly frustrated with Marketo's concern over what things look like vs. how well they actually work. (that is meant to represent the actual issue and the forum issue simultaneously)

ooooh shiny.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Colby,

We value your feedback and are looking at how we improve the new editor. 

Unfortunately, i have not received an email from you regarding this update or your frustration with the new editor.   Feel free to email me at cheryl@marketo.com

We are not trying to discourage you from discussing your displeasure with the new functionality.  All we are asking is that you do so in a more constructive manner.  We have no intention of taking your post down or doing any sort of censorship. 

Thanks,

Cheryl

Josh_Perry1
Level 7

I feel like there are some great things about the new email editor. It is slicker/nicer looking. They are trying to simplify it. That being said, there are obviously some issues. I know for sure Marketo is aware of this. They try to test things out and find issues, but sometimes things get through. I think they recognize this and even pointed that out a little in the last release note. July 2015: Release Notes  There you can find the email address of the person over this area. It is jcooperman@marketo.com. I would email him directly about it.

I like that we can switch to the old version.  I think that fixes most of the issues people are finding immediately, and as more updates happen, we will be notified. I appreciate that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you also noticed that when you press Enter in an email it creates a line break instead of starting a new paragraph? This is causing some formatting issues for my team.

My least favorite part of the new editor is having to click More and then the HTML button, when before it was one click.