SOLVED

Nesting Event Programs within a Default Program (which isn't an engagement program)

Go to solution
Cherie_Nelson1
Level 2

Nesting Event Programs within a Default Program (which isn't an engagement program)

I noticed today that I can nest an Event program within a default program. This previously wasn't possible and was confirmed in this Q&A post in December 2020

I can't find any information about it in the latest release - but in theory would anyone be able to elaborate the benefits of nesting events within the one default program? Is it just tidy housekeeping?

The use case I have is we run day long events that consist of multiple events (combination of webinar and / or physical).

I'd previously set up one Default proagram to manage the overall marketing of the event, and then individual events based on Time/Format etc. and iside those programs were the campaigns to control their program status.

Thanks in advance for your input!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brooke_Bartos1
Level 6 - Champion

Re: Nesting Event Programs within a Default Program (which isn't an engagement program)

Hi Cherie! A great example of a use case is exactly as you mentioned. 

For example, if you have a series of events that an individual can chose from, you would want to leverage the default program as the top level program where you can control tokens and house shared assets suchs as registration page/follow up pages, forms (if using local), invitation emails, and any other assets that would be shared across all of the sub-events.

Nested within would be the Event Program for each event selected, to track registrants, send appropriate follow up messaging, and track post-event behavior (meetings scheduled, opportunities). 

It helps to keep your folders, program, and tracking clean and easy to understand. 

I hope that helps! 

Brooke

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Brooke_Bartos1
Level 6 - Champion

Re: Nesting Event Programs within a Default Program (which isn't an engagement program)

Hi Cherie! A great example of a use case is exactly as you mentioned. 

For example, if you have a series of events that an individual can chose from, you would want to leverage the default program as the top level program where you can control tokens and house shared assets suchs as registration page/follow up pages, forms (if using local), invitation emails, and any other assets that would be shared across all of the sub-events.

Nested within would be the Event Program for each event selected, to track registrants, send appropriate follow up messaging, and track post-event behavior (meetings scheduled, opportunities). 

It helps to keep your folders, program, and tracking clean and easy to understand. 

I hope that helps! 

Brooke

Benjamin_Murra1
Level 1

Is there any indication as to when the API capability will catch up to this change? When trying to create an event program nested under another event or a default program, I get the following error:

"success"false,
    "warnings": [],
    "errors": [
        {
            "code""709",
            "message""  An event , default or in-app program can only have an email as a child program"
        }
    ]
Jon_Wright
Level 4

@Benjamin_Murra1  - I don't suppose you have any info on this? I'd like to use a cloned program as a child program but seemingly can't do this via UI or API -

This really negates any benefit of this feature as means you have to create all of your child program assets from scratch/or clone them in 1 by 1. I can confirm this is pretty painful having just started doing it.

Benjamin_Murra1
Level 1

They fixed it in the May release https://developers.marketo.com/blog/may-2021-updates/ Asset APIs (without event giving us a shoutout for bringing it to their attention)

Sample POST API I ran from Postman:

https://xyz-abc-123.mktorest.com/rest/asset/v1/program/8811/clone.json?access_token={{accessToken}}&... Event Program under Default&folder={"id":8279,"type":"Program"}&description=PostManTest

There are more elegant ways to write this but this was just a POC to make sure it was working.

Benjamin_Murra1_1-1637553823347.png

Tags (4)
Jon_Wright
Level 4

Thank you @Benjamin_Murra1