SOLVED

Nested programmes - in or out?

Go to solution
Jen_Harley
Level 1

Nested programmes - in or out?

Hey!

We are experimenting with Nested programs during our Free Product Trial. 

We've created an Intro program, which following 2 days will add users to a stream within an engagement program. 

If they spend under a certain amount of time in our free trial, we want them to go into a re-engagement stream, else they go into an engaged stream based upon their persona. 

Right now our nested programs sit outside the engagement program, if we keep it this way, what do we set our cadence to? 

We also have a separate program that removes a user from the re-engagement stream into the engaged/persona stream, should this be done via a transition rule?

I have a feeling we may have over complicated it, so open to ideas to simplify! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: Nested programmes - in or out?

What do you mean by "nested"? You have an Engagement Program, that Engagement Program has Streams, and in these streams you are not using emails, but default programs, right? And these default programs you call nested? Or does nested mean, that the default program lives underneath the Engagement Program?

My first suggestion for simplification would be to not speak of "nested" programs anymore, as that doesn't mean much. It is irrelevant if that program you use within your stream lives underneath your Engagement Program or outside of it. I'd say you're better off referring to that program as "Content Program", as its purpose - I guess - is to hold the email, the tokens, probably the landing pages that are related to your content.

So, regarding Cadence: You can set the cadence either in your Stream - of course - or set it in the Smart Campaign that sends the email and that lives within your Content Program. That Smart Campaign can set the cadence - e.g. like this:

Michael_Florin2_0-1585736629944.png

What this cadence should be depends on your use case.

And then you say, you "have a separate program that removes a user". Really, a separate program? I think that should happen in a separate Smart Campaign that controls movements in your Engagement Program. And no, I don't think you should do that through Transition Rules, because Transition Rules are ugly. Control all movements in your Engagement Program through Smart Campaigns - recurring batches most likely - that live in a folder "Nurture Control" in your Engagement Program. Name these Smart Campaigns after what they are doing like:

- Enter Engagement Program
- Move to Stream B
- Move to Stream C
- Move to Inactive Stream

Again, these Smart Campaign only organize Engagement Program traffic, they don't send emails.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Michael_Florin
Level 10

What do you mean by "nested"? You have an Engagement Program, that Engagement Program has Streams, and in these streams you are not using emails, but default programs, right? And these default programs you call nested? Or does nested mean, that the default program lives underneath the Engagement Program?

My first suggestion for simplification would be to not speak of "nested" programs anymore, as that doesn't mean much. It is irrelevant if that program you use within your stream lives underneath your Engagement Program or outside of it. I'd say you're better off referring to that program as "Content Program", as its purpose - I guess - is to hold the email, the tokens, probably the landing pages that are related to your content.

So, regarding Cadence: You can set the cadence either in your Stream - of course - or set it in the Smart Campaign that sends the email and that lives within your Content Program. That Smart Campaign can set the cadence - e.g. like this:

Michael_Florin2_0-1585736629944.png

What this cadence should be depends on your use case.

And then you say, you "have a separate program that removes a user". Really, a separate program? I think that should happen in a separate Smart Campaign that controls movements in your Engagement Program. And no, I don't think you should do that through Transition Rules, because Transition Rules are ugly. Control all movements in your Engagement Program through Smart Campaigns - recurring batches most likely - that live in a folder "Nurture Control" in your Engagement Program. Name these Smart Campaigns after what they are doing like:

- Enter Engagement Program
- Move to Stream B
- Move to Stream C
- Move to Inactive Stream

Again, these Smart Campaign only organize Engagement Program traffic, they don't send emails.

Jen_Harley
Level 1

Thanks Michael, that is really helpful! 

If I am understanding the first suggestion, are you saying: Keep all of the emails in the engagement program streams and set the cadence in the smart campaign? 

Right now, I have all of the emails and timings etc sitting in the smart campaign, so doing it how you have suggested makes a lot more sense! 

Apologies, when I said program, I meant smart campaign for removing them. I like the idea of the tranisitining happening in separate campaigns too. Guessing everything will still work without transition rules?

Michael_Florin
Level 10

If I am understanding the first suggestion, are you saying: Keep all of the emails in the engagement program streams and set the cadence in the smart campaign? 

No, I wouldn't say that. Usually you set your cadence in the "Stream Cadence" in your Engagement Program. You can set your emails to be sent every MON and THU e.g.

Michael_Florin2_0-1585810071101.png

But this is a rather static setting which is the same for all emails in one stream. If you want to be more flexible and send Email 1 on Day 1, Email 2 on Day 3, Email 3 on Day 7 and Email 4 on Day 20, you'd have to use above mentioned wait steps in the email sending Smart Campaigns.

Guessing everything will still work without transition rules?

Trust me on this. 🙂 You have to organize your transitions somewhere, but that doesn't need be through the Engagement Program's Transition Rules. We find them rather clunky, and never use them.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Also adding on to Micheal, consider using Smart Campaigns for transitioning leads across streams because with the transition rule you can use only all filters (using ALL filters is the only option). So if you want to use the Advanced rule or ANY option SC is the only way out. Let us know if you want any more help in setting up your nurture program. 🙂

Jen_Harley
Level 1

Thanks Darshil!