Re: Need to trigger a webhook when a lead is updated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to trigger a webhook when a lead is updated.

Hi,

What trigger would we use for this one?

I tried using Data Value Change for attribute "Updated At" but it did not work.. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Moran

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Updated in what way?

Try Updated At On or After Today... but that won't be a trigger, so you really need to get more specific. Is the lead updated by a Form? By something else?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh,

Thanks for your response. As you know, a lead can be updated for many reasons. We would like to trigger a webhook irrespective of what updated the lead. I would have assumed that Data Value Change for a Updated At (which I presume to be updated date) will work. Is that not the case?

Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I do have same scenario to execute. I want to trigger a webhook when a lead is updated. Did you get solution for this? If so, Please share with me.

Thanks.

Neil_Robertson6
Level 5

You may have to anagrammatically work this out using a field to hold a data value change - as it will need to be a trigger.   Be wary of too many webhook calls though as they can slow down your instance / processes if you have a lot

N

Robert_Kelen3
Level 4

Neil, I'm curious what you mean by "anagrammatically work this out"? We have a client situation where this same question is important (and Josh Hill​, in our case we'd want to know if it was done through the UI). This seems like a basic requirement for creating a sync framework for a non-standard CRM or other external system (add/update records in Marketo via API; report back to external system any changes made through UI using webhook). -Robert

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Webhooks aren't the way to create a full data mirror of your Marketo lead records.  They are designed for strategic push or pull in response to interesting data changes, not sending ​every ​change outside the system.  As Neil said, you will not be able to handle the webhook traffic generated by triggering on every Data Value Changed.

To build a non-native sync you would poll the REST Activity API to detect changes.  Sometimes we use webhooks for additional "touchup" on a sync solution but it can't be a dependency.

Robert_Kelen3
Level 4

Thanks Sanford. Don't you still have issue of flagging these changes even for the "touchup" situations?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can catch a change to a single field (Data Value Changes trigger). It's trying to catch all changes to all fields via the UI that isn't feasible.

Sometimes we use a "sentinel" lead to register changes: a lead that's a known member of a list. By listening on a DVC on that lead, we can issue a webhook call -- but that call just signals a (bulk) call to the REST API (push notification pattern).