SOLVED

Need to implement appending fields

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need to implement appending fields

I'm looking to implement an appending field with the purpose to combine values to one field (so an original/first value doesn't get overwritten). Curious to find out how people are currently doing this or something similar along these lines.

Thanks,

Derrick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need to implement appending fields

Derrick Sanchez​ great question! You'll need to fields: one field is where you wish to store all of the information, and the second is what you'll use to input the new information into your stored information field.

We use this for sales rep notes:

1. Lead Summary Notes

2. ZZ Append Leads Notes

Then we set up a smart campaign, with the smart list like:

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 11.23.14 PM.png

Flow like this, you add the two field tokens into your storage field like so:

pastedImage_1.png

let me know if this helps!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Derrick Sanchez​ great question! You'll need to fields: one field is where you wish to store all of the information, and the second is what you'll use to input the new information into your stored information field.

We use this for sales rep notes:

1. Lead Summary Notes

2. ZZ Append Leads Notes

Then we set up a smart campaign, with the smart list like:

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 11.23.14 PM.png

Flow like this, you add the two field tokens into your storage field like so:

pastedImage_1.png

let me know if this helps!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Allison,

This is very helpful and I think this what we are trying to accomplish. Thanks for your feedback.

-Derrick

Anonymous
Not applicable

Allison,

I have a question related to the solution you provided Derrick.

We have a field called "Product Interests"

By using tokens in the New Value field, I can append when I am adding one additional product. For instance, if someone downloads a white paper on "Product C" and we already have "Product A" and "Product B" in that field, I can keep that data and add the third by placing "{{lead.productInterest}}, " in the New Value field. If "Product C" is already there, I can avoid doing anything.

However, what if I have a form that asks leads to select all of the Products they are interested in (A, B, C, D and E)? How would I append multiple answers without deleting any of the older responses AND avoid duplicating any previous answers?

Thanks,

Eddie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure how you would avoid duplicating answers, but you'd need a form field that's multi-select (shows as concatenated with semi-colon dividers in Marketo) and use a similar setup to concatenate your form field with the database field that's holding the original values.

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

Can you put "If contains" before appending each product?  If the field contains Product XYZ, don't insert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Ashley, I will experiment with that idea and see if it works for me.

Gally_Articola
Level 3

We're running into the same issue on our end with selecting multiple values in our appending fields. Wondering if you were able to find a solution?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Because this involves both parsing and searching strings, not something you can do natively in a flow. FlowBoost (http://flowboost.tk) can do it with ease, though.