Need to add contact info in database

Lopa1408
Level 3

Need to add contact info in database

Hi,

We have a database of all People in Marketo with details like first name, last name and email address. However, for setting future campaigns we would like the address( specially country info ) to be added to the database of users.

Since we cannot update system smart list what would be the best way to do this? Should I just import a list with all details or create a new list/smart list?

Specially, in upcoming days we have to set up campaigns based on country and need to send out triggered emails based on the respective timezone for the country; what is the best way to do this? Do I need to set up segmentation based on geography or can just use smart list filters with country once we have all the details added to database?

3 REPLIES 3
Vladislav_Vagn1
Level 5 - Community Advisor

Re: Need to add contact info in database

Do you have the data for those people's countries and you just need to add it their person record in Marketo? 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Since we cannot update system smart list what would be the best way to do this?

You can't update any Smart List directly, system or not.

You update fields or activities or objects or other characteristics on a lead, which automatically qualifies/disqualifies someone for/from a Smart List. That's what makes them "smart"!

If you want to populate the Country field on a bunch of leads (keyed on email address) do that the same way as updating any lead field: import a CSV via the Marketo UI. There's nothing special about Country in that context.

Specially, in upcoming days we have to set up campaigns based on country and need to send out triggered emails based on the respective timezone for the country; what is the best way to do this? Do I need to set up segmentation based on geography or can just use smart list filters with country once we have all the details added to database?

You can set up a segmentation based on a collectiveregion or time zone. You can't set up a worldwide segmentation based on individual Country values because there are more than 100 countries.  If you have a discrete set of countries you care about, then a segmentation is technically feasible, but isn't useful since you'll be duplicating a value that's already on the lead.

Lopa1408
Level 3

Thanks SanfordWhiteman

In this case, I will go ahead and import a list(.csv) under lead database having the required information I need along with the leads email address and then refer to this list in my program smart campaign as a filter "member of list" under smart list .

We would be sending emails based on different continents and their respective timezone; what would be the best way to do this?