Need help with custom field in Marketo

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with custom field in Marketo

Need to create a new custom field in Marketo which will have a picklist of days of the week (Monday – Friday).  this field will also be mapped to the same field in Salesforce.

My questions are:

Should the field be a “string” type and where would you add the picklist? Is the picklist only added when creating the form and using this field? 

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Need help with custom field in Marketo

Niti,

I would create the field in SFDC as a "Text" type field and then sync it over to Marketo. On the SFDC side you can choose the values and restrict input to those values. As for the picklist, when the field is used in a flow step for change data value or a smart list filter, you can click the green arrow and all possible values for the field will be included.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Devraj,

Better create a picklist type field in SFDC. It will map as a string into Marketo.

-Greg

Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Good point, Greg. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone.  this is helpful but we will be taking a different approach to this. 

I do still need to create this field but the information collected will concatenate in a text field in SFDC. My question is, should this "day" field still be a string type in Marketo?

thanks,

niti

Anonymous
Not applicable

in addition to the comments above, I do have smart campaigns that create SFDC tasks and run after the program is launched.  this new field, "Day" will need to be included  as a field in the SFDC task notes as a token. how would this work?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

There is no such thing as a picklist field in Marketo database. There are only string and text area fields. The only place where you can make a field a pick are in Marketo forms, but this is a display type, not how the data is stored in the database.

Anyway, you do not have a choice. If the field is a long text in SFDC, it will be a text area in Marketo. If the field is a text in SFDC, it will be a string in Marketo. You can of course change this after sync in Marketo, but in your case, this is not really needed.

-Greg