SOLVED

Re: My Tokens within My Tokens

Go to solution
Inggrid_Yapari
Level 1

My Tokens within My Tokens

Is it possible to use My Tokens within My Tokens? For example:

Dear {{lead.Secondary Name:default={{lead.First Name:default=Valued Customer}}}},

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

First, nested tokens are not possible in Marketo: Re: Is it possible to use a token within a token?

Second, it looks like those are just Tokens and not My Tokens, which actually means we can go about this a different way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that you would prefer to display someone's secondary name, and if they don't have a secondary name, to default to their first name, and if they don't have a first name, default to "Valued Customer".

This is a bit of a workaround, but you could create a new field called "Greeting". Then, in your program, run a Smart Campaign whose flow is "Change Data Value: If Secondary Name IS EMPTY, {{lead.First Name}}"

Back in your email, instead of writing {{lead.Secondary Name:default={{lead.First Name:default=Valued Customer}}}}, you would just write {{lead.Greeting:default=Valued Customer}}. This will populate the greeting token with either the secondary name, first name, or Valued Customer depending on what applies to their record.

Hope that makes sense!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inggrid Yapari​ I moved your post to the Products and Support​ section -- since it's more product specific.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I am concerned its not possible to use tokens within tokens.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How about using tokens within a form?

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

I believe you can use tokens within a form as long as the form is on a Marketo page (ie: the token won't populate if you embed the form on a non-Marketo page using the javascript code). I use tokens to populate text on my Submit buttons quite often!

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

First, nested tokens are not possible in Marketo: Re: Is it possible to use a token within a token?

Second, it looks like those are just Tokens and not My Tokens, which actually means we can go about this a different way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that you would prefer to display someone's secondary name, and if they don't have a secondary name, to default to their first name, and if they don't have a first name, default to "Valued Customer".

This is a bit of a workaround, but you could create a new field called "Greeting". Then, in your program, run a Smart Campaign whose flow is "Change Data Value: If Secondary Name IS EMPTY, {{lead.First Name}}"

Back in your email, instead of writing {{lead.Secondary Name:default={{lead.First Name:default=Valued Customer}}}}, you would just write {{lead.Greeting:default=Valued Customer}}. This will populate the greeting token with either the secondary name, first name, or Valued Customer depending on what applies to their record.

Hope that makes sense!

Inggrid_Yapari
Level 1

Dear Jennifer DiMaria

Apologies for my (very) late reply and thank you so much for your very helpful response.

You are correct, the purpose was to display someone's secondary name and if they don't have it to default to their first name.

We will try working on your roundabout way.

Thanks again!